Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
yamci yamci is offline

Default using two fonts in the same text

Hi Dear,
I would like to know if it is allowed to insert my "home- made" symbols
into a font belonging to Microsoft or to any other company without the need
of a consent from them, this is to write a book (like a story book) using
that font combined with my own symbols for a business purpose. Please note
that I am not editing the font or the symbol files.
Thanks a lot

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

Clarification please:
Are you planning to edit the actual font file to insert glyphs in place
of or in addition to those already present?

You would have to read the actual license agreement of the font's
copyright holder. I do not believe that it is permitted by the Monotype
agreement, for example. In any case, this is a legal matter for which you
should consult the copyright holder and a lawyer.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"yamci" wrote in message
Hi Dear,
I would like to know if it is allowed to insert my "home- made" symbols
into a font belonging to Microsoft or to any other company without the
need
of a consent from them, this is to write a book (like a story book)
using
that font combined with my own symbols for a business purpose. Please
note
that I am not editing the font or the symbol files.
Thanks a lot

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Like Tom says, your intent is not clear - your last sentence seems to
contradict the first.

If you've designed your own font & have it properly installed you're free to
use it along with any others [you have legal access to] in any combination
you choose in any doc you create.

Actually modifying a copyrighted font is a totally different matter.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/30/07 6:53 PM, in article
, "yamci"
wrote:

Hi Dear,
I would like to know if it is allowed to insert my "home- made" symbols
into a font belonging to Microsoft or to any other company without the need
of a consent from them, this is to write a book (like a story book) using
that font combined with my own symbols for a business purpose. Please note
that I am not editing the font or the symbol files.
Thanks a lot

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message
Clarification please:
Are you planning to edit the actual font file to insert glyphs in place
of or in addition to those already present?

You would have to read the actual license agreement of the font's
copyright holder. I do not believe that it is permitted by the Monotype
agreement, for example. In any case, this is a legal matter for which
you should consult the copyright holder and a lawyer.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

Further thoughts:

If you want to use more than one fonts in the same document, formatting
sections, words or even individual characters with different fonts, there
is no technical or legal reason ypou cannot do that. And, yes, you can
mix in characters of your own design from one or more font files that you
created. Yes, you can even sell the result if the license you have for
every font used allows it. You can, for example, if you just use fonts
that came with Windows or other Microsoft application. You can, if the
fonts were purchased from one of the major suppliers, e.g. Adobe, or some
mix of those.

However, do note that I am not a lawyer. For advice upon which you intend
to rely, consult a lawyer.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"yamci" wrote in message
Hi Dear,
I would like to know if it is allowed to insert my "home- made"
symbols
into a font belonging to Microsoft or to any other company without the
need
of a consent from them, this is to write a book (like a story book)
using
that font combined with my own symbols for a business purpose. Please
note
that I am not editing the font or the symbol files.
Thanks a lot

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If people couldn't publish or sell documents created with purchased fonts,
publishers would be out of business (unless they printed books from "hot
type"). There can be different restrictions, I am told, on software such as
computer games, where the font license may not cover its use on a computer
screen.