Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
M A Rehman M A Rehman is offline

Default Unable to Open Word Document

I am unable to a word document. The size of the file is 87.5 MB... Please
advise.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Viktor Erdélyi Viktor Erdélyi is offline

Try a smaller one... but ok, so you have to provide a bit more info so that
we can help. At least the error message you receive, but Word version and
document extension (document version?) would be nice too. Maybe the amount of
RAM, free hard disk space, OS version... anything more than 1 line.

This way it's like "Help! My PC doesn't work!" "Then repair it."
Hope you see what I mean

Regards,
Viktor Erdélyi

"M A Rehman" wrote:

I am unable to a word document. The size of the file is 87.5 MB... Please
advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
M A Rehman[_2_] M A Rehman[_2_] is offline

Appreciate your feedback. I am mentioning the details below.
Word experienced an error trying to open the file.. try these suggestions
check the file permissions for the doc or drive
make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space
open the file with the text recovery converter

This error message can appear for several reasons.
The document may be corrupt or damaged. Use either the Recover Text
converter or the Open and Repair feature. Both are available from the Open
dialog. The Recover Text converter is in the Files of type: drop down and the
Open and Repair feature is available from the Open button (select the down
arrow and not the button itself).
File permissions may be set so you cannot access the file (read denied). It
is even possible you do not have permissions to open anything within the
drive or folder the file is saved to. In this case, contact the owner of the
drive or folder and request permissions to access the file.
It is possible you have run out of system resources (disk space or RAM) or
another program on your system has consumed all the available memory. It is
even possible for a program to have a memory leak that is using up large
quantities of memory. The best method to recover memory consumed by a memory
leak is to restart the computer. It may be possible to shut down the
offending program by using the Task Manager, but it is not recommended since
it may further destabilize the system.
There may be a read lock on the file you are attempting to open. Another
user may have the file open, or even another application that has a link to
the file has placed an exclusive lock on the file and is not allowing Word to
open the file. If a custom application has opened the file, it may have
opened the file using an incorrect method.
More information about this error message online.

Let me know if you need more information. Once again, appreciate your help.

Regards,
M A Rehman

"M A Rehman" wrote:

I am unable to a word document. The size of the file is 87.5 MB... Please
advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Viktor Erdélyi Viktor Erdélyi is offline

That's enough about the error message. Now what about document info, OS/Word
version and the other things I wrote?

"M A Rehman" wrote:

I am unable to a word document. The size of the file is 87.5 MB... Please
advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
M A Rehman[_2_] M A Rehman[_2_] is offline

Hi,

I am using MS Windows XP Professional, the windows version is 2003 and the
document extension is doc.

Regards,
M A Rehman

"M A Rehman" wrote:

I am unable to a word document. The size of the file is 87.5 MB... Please
advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Viktor Erdélyi Viktor Erdélyi is offline

Ok, so are you *sure* that the document is fine? I mean it isn't corrupt and
things like this. Try to open it on another computer, or if you downloaded
it, try to get it once more to avoid download mistakes. Maybe you can contact
the authors too and ask if they can tell you something useful.
By the way, do you have enough RAM and free space to open it? A 87MB doc is
quite a big one
((( if you have very much unused bandwidth, you can upload that file onto a
server and I can try to open it too if it isn't top secret )))

"M A Rehman" wrote:

Hi,

I am using MS Windows XP Professional, the windows version is 2003 and the
document extension is doc.

Regards,
M A Rehman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Have you tried the following:
File, New, Insert, File.
This way can sometimes open a potentially corrupt document.

If this does succesfully open the old document, resave and then go through
the document and do the necessary tidying up, ie embedded files/images, etc
to reduce the file size a tad. Then see if you can close and reopen the new
file.

The file size is a bit excessive but I have had no problems with files
larger in the past.

Best of luck
DeanH