JD

Default Password Protection

We read an article suggesting that "sensitive" information not be kept on
our computer. We were wondering about password protecting Word documents.
How secure is it? Could a savvy hacker find the password fairly easily?

Jezebel

Password-protected documents are not secure. Do a Google on 'Cracking'
software, or just check this forum for posts from people who need to
'retrieve' passwords for their documents.

Did you really need to read an article to tell you that computer security is
an issue?

"JD" wrote in message
We read an article suggesting that "sensitive" information not be kept on
our computer. We were wondering about password protecting Word documents.
How secure is it? Could a savvy hacker find the password fairly easily?

Graham Mayor

While Jezebel is correct in that passwords are hackable, they are not as
easily hackable as implied. The advanced security options in Word provide
varying levels of security and the highest levels combined with a password
of at least 8 random characters will keep the best hacking software busy for
a very long time.