Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Teresa Teresa is offline

Default Suddenly all hyperlinks are REFs

Today I changed a footer to start at page 331 instead of at page 115. (Good
for me.)

Now everything I touch opens with all hyperlinks toggled to REFs. I can do
CTRL+A, and then SHIFT+F9 to toggle the text back, but I also have to view
footers and go to every section, highlight {PAGE}, and do the same commands
to toggle the page numbers so they read as numbers.

1) Why suddenly are all my Word docs opening with all the hyperlinks toggled
to REFs? What did I do?

2) How can I get things back to the way they were before (when I opened any
Word document, the hyperlinks were text that made sense to me, and page
numbers were numbers)?

3) If I cant fix this, how can I toggle everything back to hyperlinks in
one swoop (text and all footers, or at least be able to do all footers in one
swoop instead of having to hit every new section)?

Im using Word 2002 on XP. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Press Alt+F9 to toggle all the field codes. And make sure that field codes
are toggled off in the window from which you open the document. Or, in Tools

"Teresa" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Teresa Teresa is offline

Suzanne, thank you.

Alt+F9 is great. I also see your suggestion with ToolsOptionsView and
clearing the Field codes checkbox.

Please explain what you mean by, "make sure that field codes are toggled off
in the window from which you open the document."

Thnaks very much.

"Teresa" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is a peculiarity of recent versions of Word. You can have a document
open in, let us say, Window 1. You open another document in Window 2,
leaving Window 1 open. In Window 2, you make a change in the view
(displaying field codes or nonprinting characters, for example). This
doesn't affect Window 1. But if you open another document from Window 2 (or
even after you've closed the document in Window 2, it seems to me), then the
new document opens with the settings you were using in Window 2. I can't be
more specific than that, except to say that it's bitten me more than once.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Press Alt+F9 to toggle all the field codes. And make sure that field

codes
are toggled off in the window from which you open the document. Or, in

Tools
| Options | View, clear the check box for "Field codes."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

endnote refs Devid Microsoft Word Help 4 January 8th 07 10:46 AM
Bookmarks, x-refs etc MarkN Microsoft Word Help 1 October 26th 06 10:12 AM
Why can't I suddenly open the hyperlinks I'm creating? goodbeedin Microsoft Word Help 2 August 2nd 06 06:25 PM
index ALL cross refs Catamaran Microsoft Word Help 0 April 26th 06 07:50 PM
Document refs Warrick FitzGerald Microsoft Word Help 2 October 28th 05 06:54 PM