Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LittleRockZ LittleRockZ is offline

Default remove header fails

The document originated in MS Word, updated with Google Open Office. I want
to change the header, but it is grayed out. Delete/remove header is the only
option on the screen. I would like to remove the header & footer and save
the document to use under MS Office 2000. I won't mind changing some HTML
codes
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Once a Word document has a header, you can never get rid of it. You
can delete all the content from it, and minimize its margin settings
in Page Setup, but it'll always be there.

On Jul 27, 10:54 am, LittleRockZ
wrote:
The document originated in MS Word, updated with Google Open Office. I want
to change the header, but it is grayed out. Delete/remove header is the only
option on the screen. I would like to remove the header & footer and save
the document to use under MS Office 2000. I won't mind changing some HTML
codes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not clear on several points.

Are you using Google Docs, or Open Office?

Are you in Word now, and if so what is greyed out?

Is this a header that was created in Word or in Google docs?

GoogleDocs created header/footers are basically text boxes that are converted back to bookmarked regular text (followed by a
continuous section break) when downloaded as a Word document (i.e. they may not be in the Word 'header/footer' area.

If you already had a Word created Header/Footer, you can edit those in Google docs as part of the document body and when sending the
file back to Word those edits would usually appear in the Edit=Header/Footer pane.

In GoogleDocs their 'Header/Footer' data appears just as the rest of the body text. In Word, Headers and Footers appear dimmed as
they're in a separate editing layer that is accessed through the Edit menu.

============
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi grammatim,

Headers and footers are always present. The only thing that changes is whether Word gives an indication that one or more of them has
content. If you delete all the content, the header and footer paragraph marks that can be seen in Page Layout view will also
disappear.

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote:
The document originated in MS Word, updated with Google Open Office. I want
to change the header, but it is grayed out. Delete/remove header is the only
option on the screen. I would like to remove the header & footer and save
the document to use under MS Office 2000. I won't mind changing some HTML
codes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It depends on the version, I think, and it actually seems to have been fixed
in Word 2003. At least, I can now open the header, type some text, close the
header, open it again, delete the text, close the header, and then be unable
to open it again by double-clicking (and no paragraph mark is displayed) in
Print Layout view. If I use View | Header and Footer again, there is a
paragraph mark, but this is true the first time I open it as well.