Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jon Miller Jon Miller is offline

Default Word Address Book

I'm using Word 2000 Professional, and am trying to find a way to manually
enter addresses to the envelope function. I keep getting a message that says
I have to open Microsoft Exchange (whatever that is) and have Outlook as my
default mail client. I used to have an address book that was imported from a
Palm PDA, but my old computer crashed and the new one (with the 64 bit Vista
OS) isn't compatible with the PDA, so I need to manually re-create my address
book. I posted this question (sort of, in a vague way) as a question about
Word 2000 Pro, but thought I'd better take a more general approach as there
was no response before. Thanks.
--
Jon Miller
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The insert address function is intended to work with the address book of a
MAPI compliant e-mail application. In 99.9% of cases this means Outlook (and
with Vista it may only mean Outlook).

Microsoft Exchange is an expensive corporate messaging system that allows
the use of non compliant address books. I seem to recall that some earlier
operating systems (Windows 98?) incorporated a subset of Exchange to allow
the use of alternative address books.

Whether you can still use your existing addresses without importing them
into Outlook contacts I don't know, but it seems unlikely.