Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gus[_3_] Gus[_3_] is offline

Default Cannot open file after inserting index

I have Vista Home Premium installed.
When I insert an index in a Word (2007) document using a concordance file
(2-column table in a Word 2007 document) the index appears OK, but if I then
save the document and try to open it, it tells me that It cannot be opened
because of
an error. Luckily I had a back-up copy!
I have had that problem before with another document when inserting an index
this way but never with previous Word versions, all the way back to Word 6.
As I write manuals for seniors (over 55) and have been for years they wonder
why I only provide a contents table nowadays but no index anymore! I am
getting embarrassed.
If anyone knows why this error occurs I would be much obliged to get the
answer.

Another senior
Gus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Al Al is offline

I was not able to produce this problem so maybe you need some
trouble-shooting for the Word 2007 installation itself, like Registry keys
that need refreshed (Data and Options) or re-naming the NORMAL.DOTM file?

see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Al

"Gus" wrote:

I have Vista Home Premium installed.
When I insert an index in a Word (2007) document using a concordance file
(2-column table in a Word 2007 document) the index appears OK, but if I then
save the document and try to open it, it tells me that It cannot be opened
because of
an error. Luckily I had a back-up copy!
I have had that problem before with another document when inserting an index
this way but never with previous Word versions, all the way back to Word 6.
As I write manuals for seniors (over 55) and have been for years they wonder
why I only provide a contents table nowadays but no index anymore! I am
getting embarrassed.
If anyone knows why this error occurs I would be much obliged to get the
answer.

Another senior
Gus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gus[_3_] Gus[_3_] is offline

Thank you for your response Al. I was thinking that my message had sunk into
oblivion.
I shall take your advice and see if that will fix the problem.
Gus

"Gus" wrote:

[...]

Inserting and viewing an index Inserting, viewing an index Microsoft Word Help 14 May 28th 08 12:12 AM
Table of Contents - Inserting Index Windancer Microsoft Word Help 2 August 30th 07 09:53 PM
inserting more than one letter for alphabetic group in index headi simmarko Tables 3 April 1st 07 06:48 PM
inserting a index noname Page Layout 1 December 2nd 05 01:10 PM
Concordance/Index File--Make Index Entries Case Insensitive erik_gregory Microsoft Word Help 1 February 11th 05 09:03 PM