LurfysMa

Default Outline list will not restart numbering

I have a document that contains an outline list:

1. Top level
a. Second level
b. Another second level
2. Another top level
a. etc...

The document is a log that keeps track of "trials". After each trial,
I make a copy of the current trial. One copy becomes part of the
history and the other copy becomes new new current trial.

When I copy the trial, I copy the outline list. The second copy
continues the numbering from the first copy. Usually, I am able to
select the first item of the second list and click on Format | Bullets
and Numbering | Restart numbering to get it to start num,bering from
1.

Once in awhile, this does not work. Can anyone explain what might be
causing this problem?

To solve it, I select the entire list, I cancel numbering, then
restore numbering, but that has other problems.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Stefan Blom

One way to restart numbering is to insert a { LISTNUM \l 1 \s 0 }
field at the end of each outline list. To insert the field delimiters,
press Ctrl+F9, and then type the instructions as shown (\l 1 is
backslash, lowercase "L", a space, and the number "1"). Press F9 to
show the result. Format the field in white color so that it doesn't
print. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...tByLISTNUM.htm

Another method to "freeze" numbering (for your history trials) is to
convert it to text, which can be done for the selection in the
following way:

1. Copy the current list.

2. Paste it at the beginning of the document (so that it starts
correctly at 1).

3. Select the copy.

4. Press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor.

5. On the View menu, click Immediate Window.

6. Type

Selection.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText

7. Press Enter.

8. Select the list, cut it, and paste it back in where you want it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP