Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sgvalenzuela sgvalenzuela is offline

Default Calculating in Word

Can Word calculate the numbers selected on several drop down fields?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

sgvalenzuela wrote:
Can Word calculate the numbers selected on several drop down fields?

Yes.

First, in the properties dialog of each dropdown, check the box for
"Calculate on exit". Of course, make sure all the dropdown choices are only
numbers, not other text.

For the calculation, set up a formula field. For example, to sum the numbers
in three dropdowns with their default names, the field would look like

{ = { Dropdown1 } + { Dropdown2 } + { Dropdown3 } }

Each pair of field braces { } is inserted by selecting the contents and
pressing Ctrl+F9. You can't just type braces like you see them here.

You can also use other operators such as - (minus), * (multiply), /
(divide), and ^ (exponent), and you can use parentheses for grouping.

The calculation will update only when you exit the dropdown field, not
immediately when you select a value.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sgvalenzuela sgvalenzuela is offline

It's not adding it though. The numbers are not whole number - it's from 1,
1.5, 2, 2.5 and so on.

Will this have something to do w/ it?

Thanks.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

sgvalenzuela wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

No, when I set up dropdowns with those number in them, they added
perfectly.

Did you check the box for Calculate On Exit in each dropdown's
properties page?

Did you use the names of the dropdowns (from the "Bookmark" box in the
properties page) in the formula field?

Did you use Ctrl+F9 to create the pairs of field braces? Note that the
brace at the beginning, before the = sign, matches with the one at the
very end. Each of the other pairs contains only the name of a single
dropdown.

Did you press F9 to update the formula field, and then reprotect the
form?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

sgvalenzuela wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sgvalenzuela sgvalenzuela is offline

Yes to all. :-(

I'm stuck....Can I forward to you to troubleshoot, please???

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

sgvalenzuela wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sgvalenzuela sgvalenzuela is offline

Yes to all....

Is there a way I can forward it to you to troubleshoot, please?

Thanks.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

sgvalenzuela wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Elaine @ Matalan Elaine @ Matalan is offline

Hi,
Ive read the full post on this, as i am trying to acheive the same thing.
unfortunately both myself and my collegue, can not do it. we both end up with
a syntax error. so im not too sure where we are going wrong.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Send it to me. I will look at it.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

sgvalenzuela wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Every form field has a bookmark name. So you can perform calculations on
numeric content of those bookmarked fields, by inserting a formula field in
the document where you want the result to appear. So let's assume that you
have three form fields - Text1-3 that you wish to total. Insert:

{={Text1} + {Text2} + {Text3}}
or
{={REF Text1} + {REF Text2} + {REF Text3}}

Use CTRL+F9 for each bracket pair.

Check the calculate on exit property of the field Text3 then lock the form.

If you check the calculate on exit check boxes of the other two fields, you
will be able to make changes to any field and the result will be updated as
you tab out of that field, but if there is nothing in the other two fields
then you will get an error.

By checking only the last field, you don't get the error, but you will have
to tab through and enter data in *all* three fields for the result to
appear - or to update a change in just one of the fields.

Elaine @ Matalan wrote:
Hi,
I've read the full post on this, as I am trying to achieve the same
thing. unfortunately both myself and my colleague, can not do it. we
both end up with a syntax error. so I'm not too sure where we are
going wrong.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Send it to me. I will look at it.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

sgvalenzuela wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Elaine @ Matalan[_2_] Elaine @ Matalan[_2_] is offline

Ive followed those instructions to the tee. All drop down boxes have
calculate on exit checked. all drop down boxes are a numeric field. The error
I received is
!Syntax Error, ONE.

But I managed to do it. I needed to right click on the formula box and
update field.

Many Thanks.

Elaine @ Matalan wrote:
Hi,
I've read the full post on this, as I am trying to achieve the same
thing. unfortunately both myself and my colleague, can not do it. we
both end up with a syntax error. so I'm not too sure where we are
going wrong.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Send it to me. I will look at it.