Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peedee Peedee is offline

Default Reading a Linux Document with MSWord?

I would like to read documents prepared by a colleague using the Linux 'word'
program (not sure of the name), which is the only word program on his
computer. These documents can be given to me on a USB device, to be read on
my Thinkpad, which is loaded only with Windows Office 2003 (including Word).

If Office/Word, as currently loaded, cannot read these files, is there
something I
can load onto my computer (short of the whole Linux program) in order to be
able to read these files and, if necessary, to upload the files onto my
computer so that I can edit them in Word?

Will my colleague (with only Linux) be able then to read the documents that
I have edited in Word (if I send them back to him in Word? Will he need to
load Word?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If your friend is using Open Office he should be able to save the files in a Microsoft Word format as an option and he should also
be able to open Microsoft Word documents (.doc) that you send. Microsoft Word does not read Open Office word processing documents
on its own. There are add-ins available to do the conversion,such as
http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter/
or you can download Open Office (free) from http://openoffice.org

=============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peedee Peedee is offline

Bob, you were very kind to respond to my recent post about the MSWord on my
computer being able to read Linux/OpenOffice word documents that might be
sent to me in that system's format. You suggested the possibility of using
add-ins available to do the conversion at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter/

I have visited the site and see that there are quite a few download
possibilities for, it would seem, the entire MSOffice suite. If I am only
interested in word processed documents sent in a Linux file format, are there
just certain items at SourceForge that I should download? Sorry, but I'm not
sure if I need something overall plus something just for MSWord.

Thanks again,
Peedee