Cheryl Hargraves Cheryl Hargraves is offline
Junior Member

Default TOC - Multilevel list numbering - Word 2007

Hello,

I have reviewed all of the posts about this that I can find, and I have either missed the answer or what I want to do doesn't work in Word 2007?

I want to generate a table of contents that shows the multilevel list number plus the next sentence of text in my paragraphs.

Example of desired TOC:

Article 1. This is Article 1 intro text.
1.1 This is 1.1 intro text.

Example of text used to create TOC:

Article 1. This is Article 1 intro text.

1.1 This is 1.1 intro text. This is the rest of the paragraph I don't want to include in table of content.

What I have tried:

If I mark Article 1 as level 1, and 1.1 as level 2, I get everything in my TOC, including the unwanted text.

If I use Fields to mark the text I want to include (instead of level numbers), the multilevel list numbering is lost when I create the TOC and I just get the marked text in my TOC.

If I put the unwanted text on the next line and mark it as "body text" rather than as a level number, I get what I want in the TOC. But if I add new paragraphs into the document, the paragraph numbering is interrupted.

I have tried many other things, including trying to use the style separator, but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Cheryl