Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roland roland is offline

Default How to "freeze" the endnote numbering

I have used the Insert Endnote facility to insert numbered references
at the end of a document. I know want to split the manuscript into two
separate files, one with the text and another with the references. Is
it possible to keep the endnote numbers in the text and the reference
file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Hi Roland,

Why? You'd break the endnotes permanently, so if at all possible I'd avoid
doing it, and find a better solution for whatever you're trying to achieve.

Regards,
Klaus

" roland" schrieb:
I have used the Insert Endnote facility to insert numbered references
at the end of a document. I know want to split the manuscript into two
separate files, one with the text and another with the references. Is
it possible to keep the endnote numbers in the text and the reference
file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roland roland is offline

Thank you Klaus for answering. Unfortunately it does not help me.

The reason I want to do this is that I have to upload the manuscript
to a journal's webb-based "manuscript central" and they want the
manuscript o be uploaded in separate parts. The manuscript is a review
of 60 scientific reports. The majority of the reports only appear in
tabulated form with reference number to the end notes. The journal
wants to have the tables in a separate file which will destroy the
numbering.

In another post to this forum I got a useful hint on how to convert
the crossreferences in the manuscript to keep their numbers
permanently by pressing ctrl-shift-F9.

http://groups.google.se/group/micros...03e397f1527913

But I also want to convert the end note numbers to permanent numbers
so they will keep the numbering even after the split.

I can do this manually, but would prefer an easy way.

Greetings
Roland

" roland" schrieb:

I have used the Insert Endnote facility to insert numbered references
at the end of a document. I know want to split the manuscript into two
separate files, one with the text and another with the references. Is
it possible to keep the endnote numbers in the text and the reference
file?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

use google groups to search this forum for keywords such as "convert
endnotes to text". You'll find a macro that will do it, I believe
posted by Doug Robbins.

be sure to run the macro ON A COPY, as if you need to edit it, you'll
want to go back to the original unfrozen version and then repeat the
conversion to text process to resubmit.

" roland" schrieb:

I have used the Insert Endnote facility to insert numbered references
at the end of a document. I know want to split the manuscript into two
separate files, one with the text and another with the references. Is
it possible to keep the endnote numbers in the text and the reference
file?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Are you using the EndNote program for your references? If you are, you can
achieve this by using the "remove field codes" option on the EndNote menu in
Word.

" roland" schrieb:

I have used the Insert Endnote facility to insert numbered references
at the end of a document. I know want to split the manuscript into two
separate files, one with the text and another with the references. Is
it possible to keep the endnote numbers in the text and the reference
file?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roland roland is offline

This is what I want but the macro does not work. It gives an error at
the last line. Any thoughts?

Roland

http://groups.google.se/group/micros...management/bro...

" roland" schrieb:

I have used the Insert Endnote facility to insert numbered references
at theendof a document. I know want to split the manuscript into two
separate files, one with the text and another with the references. Is
it possible to keep the endnote numbers in the text and the reference
file?- Hide quoted text -

- Visa citerad text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roland roland is offline

This macro is what I need but it did not work.

I found out another swede had had problems with this macro discussed
in this line:

http://groups.google.se/group/micros...matting.longdo...

I finaly found why the macro did not work. The line

..Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)" 'Use ";" instead of ","
'if you're using comma as a
'decimal sign.

should be
..Text = "(a)([0-9]*)(a)" 'Use ";" instead of ","
'if you're using comma as a
'decimal sign.

in the swedish version of Word2003

Greetings

Roland Andersson

"roland" schrieb:

I have used the Insert Endnote facility to insert numbered references
at theendof a document. I know want to split the manuscript into two
separate files, one with the text and another with the references. Is
it possible to keep the endnote numbers in the text and the reference
file?- Hide quoted text -

- Visa citerad text -- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

Judewang Judewang is offline
Junior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland View Post

"roland" schrieb:

I have used the Insert Endnote facility to insert numbered references
at theendof a document. I know want to split the manuscript into two
separate files, one with the text and another with the references. Is
it possible to keep the endnote numbers in the text and the reference
file?- Hide quoted text -

- Visa citerad text -- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -
Hi, I just found a cite on how to convert endnotes to text in the following link http://www.ehow.com/how_4486170_conv...text-word.html. Hope it helps.
Judewang