Catherine

Default French (dagger) to English (curly) quotation marks

I have been attempting for a long time to find how I can automatically change
French dagger quotation marks to English curly quotation marks in a French
document: « needs to be " (in curly form), but find-replace will not change
the quotation marks. The only way that I have found so far consists in
changing the document's language from French to English (select all, tools,
language, English), making the changes in the quotation marks with
find-replace, and then setting the language again to French. I would like my
French document to insert curly quotation marks automatically. If anyone has
a solution, I would be most grateful to read it. Thank you.

The guillemets seem to be standard for every flavor of French I tried (I had
thought that perhaps if I selected Canadian French or some African version,
I could get curly quotes, but so far I have not succeeded). I did find,
however, that even if I have French (France) selected as the language, I can
still get curly quotes using the built-in keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+`, " for
an opening double quote and Ctrl+', " for a closing double quote. You might
try that.

"Catherine" wrote in message
I have been attempting for a long time to find how I can automatically

change
French dagger quotation marks to English curly quotation marks in a French
document: « needs to be " (in curly form), but find-replace will not

change
the quotation marks. The only way that I have found so far consists in
changing the document's language from French to English (select all,

tools,
language, English), making the changes in the quotation marks with
find-replace, and then setting the language again to French. I would like

my
French document to insert curly quotation marks automatically. If anyone

has
a solution, I would be most grateful to read it. Thank you.

Catherine

Thanks, Suzanne. I have also tried to use different versions of French, from
Canadian to African, and nothing has worked so far. I created shortcuts for
curly quotes but still could not change them in find and replace. I will try
your suggestion, though I am not sure how it works

"Catherine" wrote in message
I have been attempting for a long time to find how I can automatically

change
French dagger quotation marks to English curly quotation marks in a French
document: « needs to be " (in curly form), but find-replace will not

change
the quotation marks. The only way that I have found so far consists in
changing the document's language from French to English (select all,

tools,
language, English), making the changes in the quotation marks with
find-replace, and then setting the language again to French. I would like

my
French document to insert curly quotation marks automatically. If anyone

has
a solution, I would be most grateful to read it. Thank you.

Klaus Linke

[...] but still could not change them in find and replace. [...]

Hi Catherine,

If you turn off "AutoFormat as you type Change straight quotes to typographic
quotes", Find/Replace should work.

Regards,
Klaus

This is explained more fully in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm. Press Ctrl and the `
(grave accent) key simultaneously, release, and then press the " key
(Shift+Apostrophe) for left double quotes. For right double quotes, press
Ctrl+Apostrophe, release, then press Shift+Apostrophe.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The guillemets seem to be standard for every flavor of French I tried (I

had
thought that perhaps if I selected Canadian French or some African

version,
I could get curly quotes, but so far I have not succeeded). I did find,
however, that even if I have French (France) selected as the language, I

can
still get curly quotes using the built-in keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+`, "

for
an opening double quote and Ctrl+', " for a closing double quote. You

might
try that.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Catherine" wrote in message
[...]

Catherine

Many thanks Suzanne and Klaus! I had actually created shortcuts for the
opening and closing curly quotes (ctrl + ' for opening quotes, and crtl + "
for closing quotes). It's the removal of the autocorrect feature that finally
did the trick.