Michael Tang

Default How do I specify the fill order of mail merge Labels?

Hi,

When I setup the mail merge for printing labels, the labels are filled from
left to right, and top to bottom.

Is there a way to change the fill order to [top to bottom] and then [left to
right]?

That is, instead of the labels

A B C D
E F G H
I J K L

I want

A D G J
B E H K
C F I L

I did some research on this subject, and I only saw sugguestions to use
Macro or VB to programatically do this. Does Word not have the function to
specify this fill direction?

Thanks,
Michael
Anne Troy

No, Michael. Word does not have a function to perform this action.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Michael Tang" wrote in message
Hi,

When I setup the mail merge for printing labels, the labels are filled

from
left to right, and top to bottom.

Is there a way to change the fill order to [top to bottom] and then [left

right]?

That is, instead of the labels

A B C D
E F G H
I J K L

I want

A D G J
B E H K
C F I L

I did some research on this subject, and I only saw sugguestions to use
Macro or VB to programatically do this. Does Word not have the function

specify this fill direction?

Thanks,
Michael

Doug Robbins

But, this macro can do what needs to be done to the data source to get the
labels to print that way.

' Macro to assign numbers to data source so that it can be sorted to cause
labels to print down columns
Dim Message, Title, Default, labelrows, labelcolumns, i As Integer, j As
Integer, k As Integer
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a row" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per Row" ' Set title.
Default = "3" ' Set default.
' Display message, title, and default value.
labelcolumns = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a column" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per column" ' Set title.
Default = "5" ' Set default.
labelrows = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns.Add
BeforeColumn:=ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Range.Cut
k = 1
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count - labelcolumns
For j = 1 To labelrows
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range.InsertBefore k + (j - 1) *
labelcolumns
i = i + 1
Next j
k = k + 1
i = i - 1
If k Mod labelcolumns = 1 Then k = k - labelcolumns + labelcolumns *
labelrows
Next i
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Sort FieldNumber:="Column 1"
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Select
Selection.Paste
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1).Delete

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Michael Tang" wrote in message
Hi,

When I setup the mail merge for printing labels, the labels are filled
from
left to right, and top to bottom.

Is there a way to change the fill order to [top to bottom] and then [left
right]?

That is, instead of the labels

A B C D
E F G H
I J K L

I want

A D G J
B E H K
C F I L

I did some research on this subject, and I only saw sugguestions to use
Macro or VB to programatically do this. Does Word not have the function
specify this fill direction?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Tang

Thanks guys,

I will give this a shot.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

[...]

Mail Merge Word 2003 Issue S.Nicks Mailmerge 5 February 20th 09 02:55 AM
Mail Merge - Parameter prompts twice... TL Mailmerge 6 June 17th 05 02:58 PM
Mail Merge Field Order KTJ Mailmerge 1 June 13th 05 06:09 PM
Mail Merge Issue With Office 97 - Excel Data Source Matt Thorley Mailmerge 1 February 16th 05 12:38 AM