Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Betsy Rausch Betsy Rausch is offline

Default Table of Contents

When I update the Table of Contents after assigning the headings/levels I am
not getting the correct formatting. The number is supposed to start over at
each chapter, but in a few sections the 2nd number continues on from the
previous chapter. The heading levels appear to be correct when I highlight
them (1,2,3)
-- 4.6 Workplace Attire 4-4
4.7 Personnel Records 4-4
4.8 Expense Policy and Procedures 4-4
5 Compensation Policies and Practices 5-6
5.1 Payroll Procedures 5-6

Betsy Rausch
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Are the page numbers correct in your document? If not, make sure each
chapter heading (Heading 1?) is at the start of its own section, then go
into the header or footer (wherever your page number are) for each
chapter/section and edit the page number to start at 1. Then regenerate
your TOC.

If your page numbers are correct in the document, but the TOC page numbers
are wrong, I'm at a loss to explain it.

PamC

Betsy Rausch wrote:
When I update the Table of Contents after assigning the headings/levels I am
not getting the correct formatting. The number is supposed to start over at
each chapter, but in a few sections the 2nd number continues on from the
previous chapter. The heading levels appear to be correct when I highlight
them (1,2,3)
-- 4.6 Workplace Attire 4-4
4.7 Personnel Records 4-4
4.8 Expense Policy and Procedures 4-4
5 Compensation Policies and Practices 5-6
5.1 Payroll Procedures 5-6

Betsy Rausch

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Henk57[_229_] Henk57[_229_] is offline

Betsy Rausch;2924152 Wrote:
When I update the Table of Contents after assigning the headings/levels
I am
not getting the correct formatting. The number is supposed to start
over at
each chapter, but in a few sections the 2nd number continues on from
the
previous chapter. The heading levels appear to be correct when I
highlight
them (1,2,3)
-- 4.6 Workplace Attire 4-4
4.7 Personnel Records 4-4
4.8 Expense Policy and Procedures 4-4
5 Compensation Policies and Practices 5-6
5.1 Payroll Procedures 5-6

Betsy Rausch

Is the page numbering correct in itself? You need to put every chapter
in a separate section if you want to show the chapter number in the page
numbering, and set every section to start at 1, not "continue from
previous section". Then the ToC shd pick this up automatically too.

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure that you have inserted section breaks and restarted the page
numbering correctly. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom