Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
paper paper is offline

Default Convert text to table with SPACES separator

I am tring to covert text to table while the text is sparated by mutiple
spaces, like following:

1 a c d
2 c b c

Obvious, the nuber of spaces between different columns varies. I can covert
the above text to table easily in my office, using the table-convert text to
table in Word 2003. In that version, I can see the "Separate text at"
"Spaces". And the WORD will recognize multiple spaces as only one, and
separate the text correctly. However, in my laptop, which uses Word 2007,
there is no obvious "Spaces" as an option under "Separate text at", so I have
to input the space in the "Option" area. Unfortunately, after doing that, the
multiple spaces in the text will also create several columns, which I don't
want to see.

Any solutions?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I don't see that option in either Word 2003 or 2007, however the following
macro should do the trick

With Selection
With .Find
.ClearFormatting
.Replacement.ClearFormatting
.Text = "[ ]{1,}"
.Replacement.Text = ", "
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.MatchWildcards = True
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
.WholeStory
.ConvertToTable Separator:=wdSeparateByCommas
End With

If you want to break the text where there are two spaces or more change the
{1,} to {2,}

paper wrote:
I am trying to covert text to table while the text is separated by
multiple spaces, like following:

1 a c d
2 c b c

Obvious, the nuber of spaces between different columns varies. I can
covert the above text to table easily in my office, using the
table-convert text to table in Word 2003. In that version, I can see
the "Separate text at" "Spaces". And the WORD will recognize multiple
spaces as only one, and separate the text correctly. However, in my
laptop, which uses Word 2007, there is no obvious "Spaces" as an
option under "Separate text at", so I have to input the space in the
"Option" area. Unfortunately, after doing that, the multiple spaces
in the text will also create several columns, which I don't want to
see.

Any solutions?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Microsmith Microsmith is offline

I have a solution though it is somewhat convoluted.

1. Copy entire text range to excel (paste values) starting at cell A1
2. In a column next to the pasted text, type the following formula, then
copy it down however many rows needed:

=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),CHAR(32)))

The formula will convert the text to something like:
1 a c d
2 c b c

3. Copy the range containing the formulas back to Word 2007.
4. Use Word 2007's "Convert Text To Table" and in the
"separate text at" section choose "Other" and type in a space using
your spacebar in the box to the right.
5. Click OK.

Works great for me.

"paper" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
paper paper is offline

Hi Graham,

I just checked the version used in my office. It is WORD professional
edition 2003 (11.8227.8202) SP3. And there is an option "Space" under the
"Separate text at" in the "Table--Covert---Text to table". It is suprising
because there are only 4 options under the "Separate text at" in WORD 2007
and other version of WORD 2003 I used before. However, the one in my office
has 5 options. That is, one additional option "Space" there.

I don't know if there is any way that I can put "Space" as an option under
the "Separate text at".

Thanks

paper wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can, but it splits text at *every* space.
I have the same Word version as the OP and mine does not have an option for
Spaces?
The macro I posted earlier will do it.

paper wrote:
I am trying to covert text to table while the text is separated by
multiple spaces, like following:

1 a c d
2 c b c

Obvious, the nuber of spaces between different columns varies. I
can covert the above text to table easily in my office, using the
table-convert text to table in Word 2003. In that version, I can
see the "Separate text at" "Spaces". And the WORD will recognize
multiple spaces as only one, and separate the text correctly.
However, in my laptop, which uses Word 2007, there is no obvious
"Spaces" as an option under "Separate text at", so I have to input
the space in the "Option" area. Unfortunately, after doing that,
the multiple spaces in the text will also create several columns,
which I don't want to see.

Any solutions?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I don't have an option for spaces, either, which makes me wonder if the OP
might be using WordPerfect or something else. Also, IIRC, you can't enter
more than a single character in the Other box, so you couldn't enter two
spaces. I jumped into the middle of the thread and didn't see that that was
what was wanted.

convert text to table Sharon Tables 1 January 28th 08 10:46 AM
Convert tabs to spaces Dion Starfire Microsoft Word Help 4 January 14th 08 06:25 AM
Convert Table to Text Mkate Microsoft Word Help 1 January 16th 07 04:27 PM
Convert Text to Table Ed Sheehan Tables 1 July 27th 06 12:38 AM
in text file convert to Word table.
Bill_McC Tables 1 January 27th 05 03:47 PM