Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lleela Lleela is offline

Default Problem with table of contents updating page numbers incorrectly

Hello,

I created a table of contents for a document of about 15 pages. Everything
looks correct on my screen, but when I email the document to myself as a test
the page numbers list every section as page 1 instead of the correct page
numbers. Please HELP! It's for an important document at work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

This is caused by your opening the document in Reading Layout view. You have
three choices:

1. Save the document to your HD before opening it instead of opening the
attachment directly (Reading Layout view affects only attachments opened
directly).

2. Disable Reading Layout view (Tools | Options | General).

3. After opening in Reading Layout view, switch to another view and update
the TOC.

"Lleela" wrote in message
Hello,

I created a table of contents for a document of about 15 pages. Everything
looks correct on my screen, but when I email the document to myself as a
test
the page numbers list every section as page 1 instead of the correct page
numbers. Please HELP! It's for an important document at work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lleela Lleela is offline

Default Problem with table of contents updating page numbers incorrect

Thank you Suzanne. The problem with this is that the document is meant for
company wide distribution. Is there anyway I can correct this problem without
having to email out the 3 options you listed when distributing the document?

"Lleela" wrote in message
Hello,

I created a table of contents for a document of about 15 pages. Everything
looks correct on my screen, but when I email the document to myself as a
test
the page numbers list every section as page 1 instead of the correct page
numbers. Please HELP! It's for an important document at work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Unfortunately, no. There is no way you can control behavior on anyone else's
machine except by making these suggestions.

Your one hope might be to get your IT folks to change the General Options
setting universally so that no one would be opening in Reading Layout view
(and some might object to that).