Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jeeslawees Jeeslawees is offline

Default Nested Tables Going Crazy!

I'm using Word 2007. Created a document that is 16 pages long and is made up
complete of MANY nested tables.

If I save it as a Word 2007 document (.docx), when I go back into Word and
reopen the file, it opens fine and is still 16 pages.

If I save it as a Word 97-2003 compatible document (.doc), when I go back
into Word 2007 and open it, the page count continually clicks off pages
beyond the 16 pages into the hundreds of pages. The only way to stop it is
to exit the file. If I scroll thru the pages while the page count is rising,
it looks like the first few pages are correct but after that table "pieces"
are scattered over many pages and also a lot of blank pages.

Interestingly, this abnormal rising page count only happens if I open the
file from within Word 2007, from the list of latest files. If I open this
Word 97-2003 compatible document by double clicking on it under the folder it
resides in, it opens perfectly ....... 16 pages, not rapidly increasing page
count.

All my other Word documents (.doc and .docx) reopen just fine over and over,
no matter how I reopen them. This is ONLY Word document I have that uses
nested tables, so my suspicion is high that these nested tabels are the
culprit (especially when I file it as a Word 97-2003 compatible document).

When I am complete with this nested table document, my plan was to e-mail it
as a Word 97-2003 compatible document to several associates across the
country, who all use different versions of Word. But now my confidence is
low that many will have trouble with it.

Any thoughts out there as to what I might be doing wrong? Or am I not doing
somethign I should be when saving it? Or should I not be using nested tables
in docs that I need to ultimately make Word 97-2003 compatible documents?
Thanks ..... Rick