Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] rschuang15@gmail.com is offline

Default table of figures-numbering

Hi, I'm creating a table of figures right now.
Some of the tables subsets of other tables, so I would like to show
them as Table 1-a, 1-b, 2-a...
(not by chapter though)
it seems like Word does not allow me to do that, any suggestions? I'm
using the 2003 version.

thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can enter the numbers manually, from the keyboard. Of course, that will
be very time-consuming unless there is a reasonably small number of table
captions.

As an alternative (possibly not that much less time-consuming), you can
modify the underlying field codes from which Word creates caption numbering.
To display field codes, press Alt+F9. Your table caption numbers will look
similar to this: { SEQ Table }. To have a field repeat the "current" number,
add the \c switch to its field code. Press F9 to update. Press Alt+F9 again
to hide field codes.

I'm assuming here that you plan to type the "-a", "-b" text. But, of course,
it is possible to create those numbers too using field codes.

If you choose to edit the field codes, note that you cannot use the Caption
dialog box to insert new captions, as Word will try to restore the settings
previously selected in the dialog box. Instead, manually create the fields,
for example by pressing Ctrl+Q and typing in the code.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP