Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
apagano apagano is offline

Default How to span text between two table cells in a Word doc

I've created a Word form with several pages of a blank, two column form using
tables that is filled in by a user. Often the user's text in column 2 runs
beyond that cell in page 1 and needs to run to column 2 of page 2 and 3, etc.
The table cells are fixed height and I don't want the table cells on page 1
to break into page 2.

As it stands the user must watch as their typing gets near the end of the
cell on page 1 otherwise it disappears out of view. Is there a way I can
detect an end of cell marker and have the cursor automatically shifted to
column 2 on the next page?

I'm guessing I need some vba code to handle this problem. Can anyone offer
a suggestion on how to begin?

Tony
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Tony,

There's no way to detect that you've reached the 'cell marker' as you type. You could do that after the formfield in the cell has
been exited, then use a macro to cut & paste any overflow text to a new formfield on the next page, but this gets complicated if the
user then goes back and starts editing the text in any of the 'linked' fields.

If you want the user to have the freedom to enter however much text they need, and to be able to edit that text later on, you
probably need to set the cell row height to 'at least' instead of to 'exactly' and allow Word to manage things in the normal way.

--
Cheers
macropod

"apagano" wrote in message ...
I've created a Word form with several pages of a blank, two column form using
tables that is filled in by a user. Often the user's text in column 2 runs
beyond that cell in page 1 and needs to run to column 2 of page 2 and 3, etc.
The table cells are fixed height and I don't want the table cells on page 1
to break into page 2.

As it stands the user must watch as their typing gets near the end of the
cell on page 1 otherwise it disappears out of view. Is there a way I can
detect an end of cell marker and have the cursor automatically shifted to
column 2 on the next page?

I'm guessing I need some vba code to handle this problem. Can anyone offer
a suggestion on how to begin?

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
apagano apagano is offline

Thanks macropod,

I appreciate your time in answering. Your answer sounds the best and easiest.

Tony