Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Fetsch Mary Fetsch is offline

Default Updating Sum Field in Table

I have 5 rows in my table column. In the last cell I have the formula
"sum(F1:F4)". I know I can update the sum field by pressing F9, but is there
a way to set it so it will update whenever a number is entered in one of the
first 4 cells?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Mary,

Only if your source cells are being updated by way of formfields and the:
.. formfield properties are set to 'calculate on exit'; and
.. document is protected for forms.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Mary Fetsch" wrote in message ...
I have 5 rows in my table column. In the last cell I have the formula
"sum(F1:F4)". I know I can update the sum field by pressing F9, but is there
a way to set it so it will update whenever a number is entered in one of the
first 4 cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Fetsch Mary Fetsch is offline

Thanks for your response. I'm using Word 2007, and I don't see anywhere to
insert a formfield. I only way I saw to insert my sum was to click the down
arrow next to Quick Parts (on the Insert tab) and choose Field. Then I
clicked Formula and entered the sum, and there's no option to Calculate on
Exit. Am I missing something?

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Mary,

Only if your source cells are being updated by way of formfields and the:
.. formfield properties are set to 'calculate on exit'; and
.. document is protected for forms.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mary Fetsch" wrote in message ...
I have 5 rows in my table column. In the last cell I have the formula
"sum(F1:F4)". I know I can update the sum field by pressing F9, but is there
a way to set it so it will update whenever a number is entered in one of the
first 4 cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Mary,

Formfields are found under 'Legacy Tools' on the Controls Tab on the Developer Ribbon. After inserting a text formfield via the
'Legacy Tools' collection, you'd need to right-click the formfield to access its properties.

--
Cheers
macropod

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Mary,

Only if your source cells are being updated by way of formfields and the:
.. formfield properties are set to 'calculate on exit'; and
.. document is protected for forms.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mary Fetsch" wrote in message ...
I have 5 rows in my table column. In the last cell I have the formula
"sum(F1:F4)". I know I can update the sum field by pressing F9, but is there
a way to set it so it will update whenever a number is entered in one of the
first 4 cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Fetsch Mary Fetsch is offline

Who in the world would know to look there? Typing "formfield" or "form
field" in Help sure doesn't take you there. You are a lifesaver! Thank God
for the newsgroups and you!

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Mary,

Only if your source cells are being updated by way of formfields and the:
.. formfield properties are set to 'calculate on exit'; and
.. document is protected for forms.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mary Fetsch" wrote in message ...
I have 5 rows in my table column. In the last cell I have the formula
"sum(F1:F4)". I know I can update the sum field by pressing F9, but is there
a way to set it so it will update whenever a number is entered in one of the
first 4 cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Fetsch Mary Fetsch is offline

Thanks so much!

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Mary,

Formfields are found under 'Legacy Tools' on the Controls Tab on the
Developer Ribbon. After inserting a text formfield via the 'Legacy
Tools' collection, you'd need to right-click the formfield to access
its properties.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mary Fetsch" wrote in
message news Thanks for your response. I'm using Word 2007, and I don't see

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Mary,

Only if your source cells are being updated by way of formfields
and the: .. formfield properties are set to 'calculate on exit';
and .. document is protected for forms.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mary Fetsch" wrote in
message ...
I have 5 rows in my table column. In the last cell I have the
formula "sum(F1:F4)". I know I can update the sum field by
pressing F9, but is there a way to set it so it will update
whenever a number is entered in one of the first 4 cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Fetsch Mary Fetsch is offline

It appears that the text form fields can be used only if the whole document
is protected. Is there a way to just protect these fields without protecting
the whole document?

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Mary,

Only if your source cells are being updated by way of formfields and the:
.. formfield properties are set to 'calculate on exit'; and
.. document is protected for forms.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mary Fetsch" wrote in message ...
I have 5 rows in my table column. In the last cell I have the formula
"sum(F1:F4)". I know I can update the sum field by pressing F9, but is there
a way to set it so it will update whenever a number is entered in one of the
first 4 cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Mary,

You can use Section breaks before/after the Section(s) you want to protect, then protect only that/those Section(s)

--

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Mary,

Only if your source cells are being updated by way of formfields and the:
.. formfield properties are set to 'calculate on exit'; and
.. document is protected for forms.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mary Fetsch" wrote in message
I have 5 rows in my table column. In the last cell I have the formula
"sum(F1:F4)". I know I can update the sum field by pressing F9, but is there
a way to set it so it will update whenever a number is entered in one of the
first 4 cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mary Fetsch Mary Fetsch is offline

Thanks so much! You've been very helpful.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Mary,

Only if your source cells are being updated by way of formfields and the:
.. formfield properties are set to 'calculate on exit'; and
.. document is protected for forms.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mary Fetsch" wrote in message
I have 5 rows in my table column. In the last cell I have the formula
"sum(F1:F4)". I know I can update the sum field by pressing F9, but is there
a way to set it so it will update whenever a number is entered in one of the
first 4 cells?

PRINTDATE Field Not Updating Brett Weiss Microsoft Word Help 1 November 6th 07 01:44 AM
Field codes not updating SueK Microsoft Word Help 8 June 20th 06 02:59 PM
Field not updating in footer BarbaraF Page Layout 3 December 5th 05 09:58 AM
Field Updating Cissy Mailmerge 1 March 30th 05 10:01 PM
Updating a date field LDHardy Microsoft Word Help 2 February 25th 05 04:07 PM