Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
sally kay sally kay is offline

Default Titling a two-page table

fHi - I have a number of tables that run across two or three pages in
landscape format. I am using header repeats also. My problem is "titling"
the table.

On the first page of the table I have a title such as "Table 21: Gender and
Age Demographics". On the subsequent pages I need to title them "Table 21:
Gender and Age Demographics (continued)".

WORD does not allow me to insert a "title" on the subsequent pages. Then I
thought about including the "title" as a part of the header which gets the
information on each page - but doesn't allow me to add (continued).

I'm beginning to think that I just need to turn of the header repeats and
recreate each page of the table as a "distinct" table. I'm not looking
forward to this as I have about 75 tables my disseration and about half run
over more than one page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you give the table a section of its own, you can use "Different first
page" to put the title on the first page and the "continued" title on
subsequent pages. The alternative, and it's really quite kludgy, is as
follows:

1. Put the title, including "(continued)" in the first row of the table,
marked as a heading row.

2. On the first page, insert a text box or AutoShape, with white fill and no
line, anchored in a non-heading row, to cover "(continued)."

"sally kay" sally wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
sally kay[_2_] sally kay[_2_] is offline

The second part of your response (the clunky method) makes sense. How do I
make the table a different section (I know I'm already using section breaks
to switch back and forth between portrait and landscape) to use the tool you
refer to as "different first page"? Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Insert Next Page breaks before and after the table. Then, on the Layout tab
of Page Setup, check the box for "Different first page" for the section with
the table in it. You'll get a separate First Page Header that you can put
the title in; the Continued title will go in the primary Header that will
appear on subsequent pages.