jonnymarketingguy

Default Email merge with part of the document as an attachment

I would like to have an email merge where part of the merge information is
included in the body of the document and part of the document is attached as
a word document. I have tried emailing the whole thing as an attachment but
the message is sent with "WARNING-MACRO" in fron of my subject line. Also,
having nothing in the body of the email just doesn't look right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Michael_Corral

I believe that Pre Word 2003 you can Send To and then choose Mail Recipient
(for Review) and that with 2003 you can just choose Send To and then Mail
Recipient and both will show up inside the e-mail.

--
Top Notch Admin

"jonnymarketingguy" wrote:

I would like to have an email merge where part of the merge information is
included in the body of the document and part of the document is attached as
a word document. I have tried emailing the whole thing as an attachment but
the message is sent with "WARNING-MACRO" in fron of my subject line. Also,
having nothing in the body of the email just doesn't look right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

jonnymarketingguy

Maybe I wasn't very clear.

I have a document that has a cover page as well as two invoices. I would
like the two invoices to show up as attachments.

The list has multiple customers, so each customer would receive their own
invoices.

I would like the body of the cover page to show up in the body of the email
page. I am not sure how best to handle this if it is possible at all.

All I know is that when I create an email merge chosing MAIL FORMAT as
Attachment I get the subject "WARNING-MACRO" before my subject line when I
received the test email. I don't want people to go running for the hills when
seeing an email on which I want to collect money. Plus having no text in the
body of the email just looks wrong.

From other posts I guess that using the email merge chosing MAIL FORMAT as
Attachment, it is impossible to put text in the body of the message. Is this
true?

Is there any other way to get rid of the "WARNING-MACRO", put SOMETHING in
the body of the email and have the proper invoices attached automatically on
the fly?

Thanks,
Jonathan

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
I would like to have an email merge where part of the merge
information is included in the body of the document and part of the
document is attached as a word document. I have tried emailing the
whole thing as an attachment but the message is sent with
"WARNING-MACRO" in fron of my subject line. Also, having nothing in
the body of the email just doesn't look right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Graham Mayor

Your message was clear enough. Currently, the only way to merge attachments
from Word is to do so using the method I posted earlier. What you are trying
to achieve may not be possible using this application.
If you wish to avoid warnings in every circumstance then use plain text
messages.

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
Maybe I wasn't very clear.

I have a document that has a cover page as well as two invoices. I
would like the two invoices to show up as attachments.

The list has multiple customers, so each customer would receive their
own invoices.

I would like the body of the cover page to show up in the body of the
email page. I am not sure how best to handle this if it is possible
at all.

All I know is that when I create an email merge chosing MAIL FORMAT as
Attachment I get the subject "WARNING-MACRO" before my subject line
when I received the test email. I don't want people to go running for
the hills when seeing an email on which I want to collect money. Plus
having no text in the body of the email just looks wrong.

From other posts I guess that using the email merge chosing MAIL
FORMAT as Attachment, it is impossible to put text in the body of the

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
I would like to have an email merge where part of the merge
information is included in the body of the document and part of the
document is attached as a word document. I have tried emailing the
whole thing as an attachment but the message is sent with
"WARNING-MACRO" in fron of my subject line. Also, having nothing in
the body of the email just doesn't look right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

jonnymarketingguy

It doesn't seem to be possible to have only part of the document come accross
as an attachment.

The really annoying thing is that Microsoft Word seems to be putting the
"WARNING-MACRO" when the document is merged as an attachment. Is there any
way to after mailmerge strip macros so this doesn't appear?

Any idea when Microsoft will allow email merges as attachment with dynamic
text in the body?

Thanks,
Jonathan

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
Maybe I wasn't very clear.

I have a document that has a cover page as well as two invoices. I
would like the two invoices to show up as attachments.

The list has multiple customers, so each customer would receive their
own invoices.

I would like the body of the cover page to show up in the body of the
email page. I am not sure how best to handle this if it is possible
at all.

All I know is that when I create an email merge chosing MAIL FORMAT as
Attachment I get the subject "WARNING-MACRO" before my subject line
when I received the test email. I don't want people to go running for
the hills when seeing an email on which I want to collect money. Plus
having no text in the body of the email just looks wrong.

From other posts I guess that using the email merge chosing MAIL

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
I would like to have an email merge where part of the merge
information is included in the body of the document and part of the
document is attached as a word document. I have tried emailing the
whole thing as an attachment but the message is sent with
"WARNING-MACRO" in fron of my subject line. Also, having nothing in
the body of the email just doesn't look right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

jonnymarketingguy

There may be another workaround. Is there a way to automatically save
different parts of the merged file? In other words if I have a letter with
one of the recipients named "Bill" would I be able to save the letter to
"Bill" as a seperate file, say Bill.doc, within the mailmerge process?

Then I could create a merge with an attachment with the method you
previously mentioned.

Thanks,
Jonathan

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
Maybe I wasn't very clear.

I have a document that has a cover page as well as two invoices. I
would like the two invoices to show up as attachments.

The list has multiple customers, so each customer would receive their
own invoices.

I would like the body of the cover page to show up in the body of the
email page. I am not sure how best to handle this if it is possible
at all.

All I know is that when I create an email merge chosing MAIL FORMAT as
Attachment I get the subject "WARNING-MACRO" before my subject line
when I received the test email. I don't want people to go running for
the hills when seeing an email on which I want to collect money. Plus
having no text in the body of the email just looks wrong.

From other posts I guess that using the email merge chosing MAIL

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
I would like to have an email merge where part of the merge
information is included in the body of the document and part of the
document is attached as a word document. I have tried emailing the
whole thing as an attachment but the message is sent with
"WARNING-MACRO" in fron of my subject line. Also, having nothing in
the body of the email just doesn't look right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Graham Mayor

You may be able to merge to two separate files using the same data or you
may be able to merge to a new dolcument and to split the merge to achieve
much the same, but unfortunately I can't test it at present as I am
relocating and most of my PC equipment is in a container somewhere on the
high seas.

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
Maybe I wasn't very clear.

I have a document that has a cover page as well as two invoices. I
would like the two invoices to show up as attachments.

The list has multiple customers, so each customer would receive
their own invoices.

I would like the body of the cover page to show up in the body of
the email page. I am not sure how best to handle this if it is
possible at all.

All I know is that when I create an email merge chosing MAIL
FORMAT as Attachment I get the subject "WARNING-MACRO" before my
subject line when I received the test email. I don't want people
to go running for the hills when seeing an email on which I want
to collect money. Plus having no text in the body of the email
just looks wrong.

From other posts I guess that using the email merge chosing MAIL

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
I would like to have an email merge where part of the merge
information is included in the body of the document and part of
the document is attached as a word document. I have tried
emailing the whole thing as an attachment but the message is
sent with "WARNING-MACRO" in fron of my subject line. Also,
having nothing in the body of the email just doesn't look right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Doug Robbins

If you want each file to be named based on one of the fields in the data
source,
here's a method that I have used that involves creating a separate
catalog type mailmerge maindocument which creates a word document containing
a table in each row of which would be your data from the database that you
want to use as the filename.

You first execute that mailmerge, then save that file and close it. Then
execute the mailmerge that you want to create the separate files from and
with the
result of that on the screen, run a macro containing the following code
and when the File open dialog appears, select the file containing the table
created by the first mailmerge

' Throw Away Macro created by Doug Robbins
'
Dim Source As Document, oblist As Document, DocName As Range, DocumentName
As String
Dim i As Long, doctext As Range, target As Document
Set Source = ActiveDocument
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
.Show
End With
Set oblist = ActiveDocument
Counter = 1
For i = 1 To oblist.Tables(1).Rows.Count
Set DocName = oblist.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range
DocName.End = DocName.End - 1

'Change the path in the following command to suit where you want to save
the documents.
DocumentName = "I:\WorkArea\Documentum\" & DocName.Text
Set doctext = Source.Sections(i).Range
doctext.End = doctext.End - 1
Set target = Documents.Add
target.Range.FormattedText = doctext
target.SaveAs FileName:=DocumentName
target.Close
Next i

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"jonnymarketingguy" wrote in
message ...

jonnymarketingguy wrote:
Maybe I wasn't very clear.

I have a document that has a cover page as well as two invoices. I
would like the two invoices to show up as attachments.

The list has multiple customers, so each customer would receive their
own invoices.

I would like the body of the cover page to show up in the body of the
email page. I am not sure how best to handle this if it is possible
at all.

All I know is that when I create an email merge chosing MAIL FORMAT
as
Attachment I get the subject "WARNING-MACRO" before my subject line
when I received the test email. I don't want people to go running for
the hills when seeing an email on which I want to collect money. Plus
having no text in the body of the email just looks wrong.

From other posts I guess that using the email merge chosing MAIL