Top Spin

Default Paste exact text as formatted in another document?

Is there a way to paste an exact copy of a paragraph from one Word
document into another Word document with all of the formatting in the
original document preserved, including list numbering and
cross-references? It probably needs to be some sort of non-text object
so that it can't get edited or affected by changes to local formatting
or styles.

These are legal documents, so the text getting copied is usually one
or more clauses from a court order, which means that it is usually
part of an Outline Numbered list. For example,

3.d.4 The parties shall...

I need the pasted text to retain the original list numbering, etc.

I tried each of the Paste Special options and none of them do what I
want unless I made a mistake. Here's what I tried. Is there anything
that will do what I need?

Thanks

1. Microsoft Word Document Object

This seems to almost work. It creates some sort of object that has all
of the right formatting, but the list numbering is reset as if it is
the only item in the list. That is, 3.d.4 above becomes 1.a.1.

2. Formatted Text (RTF)

This appears to be the same as just pasting (Ctrl+v). The formatting
is preserved, but the list numbering is wrong and the text is subject
to reformatting locally.

3. Unformatted Text

This appears to paste the wysiwyg text, but with most of the
formatting lost. It assumed the local formatting.

4. Picture

This seems to almost work, too. Just like 1. above. But the list
numbering is lost. (3.d.4 becomes 1.a.1.)

5. HTML Format

This seems to be silimar to #2, RTF.

6. Unformatted Unicode Text

This seems to be similar to #3.

--
Running Word 2K SP-3 (9.0.6926)
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Stefan Blom

Create a copy of your document (using either FileSave As or Windows
Explorer).

Working with the copy, press CTRL+A to select the entire document and
press F9 to make sure that cross-references and other fields are
updated to show the current result.

The next step is to convert all fields to plain text: Select the
entire document and press CTRL+SHIFT+F9.

Do the following to get rid of all list numbering of your document:
Display the Visual Basic Editor (you can press ALT+F11). On the View
menu, click Immediate Window. In the Immediate Window, type the
following code:

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

and press ENTER. Word will convert list numbering to plain text. Close
the Visual Basic Editor. Note that for numbering applied with
paragraph styles, you should also clear numbering formatting from the
style definition(s).

Now you can copy and paste with original numbers and cross-references
preserved.

--
Stefan Blom

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

Top Spin

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:07:54 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

[...]

Zowie! What a process. I am impressed that you even came up with it.

That looks like it will bring the text over as is (wysiwyg), but won't
protect it from being modified after that. I was hoping for something
that would capture the text as an image that could be pasted in
without it being able to be modified afterwards.

How come none of the "picture" options of Paste Special bring the text
over "as is"? That would be the simple solution.

--
Running Word 2K SP-3 (9.0.6926)
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Stefan Blom

Well, how about first perform the steps to remove numbering and then
copy and paste as a picture?

--
Stefan Blom

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

How do I edit text of a scanned document? Toody Microsoft Word Help 2 January 14th 05 10:38 AM
Insert, edit and delete text in protected document homeofbonnie Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 05 02:31 PM
Auto text at the beginning of each new document Oregon Old Guy Microsoft Word Help 2 January 10th 05 06:29 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
textbox to normal text Jack Sons New Users 16 December 5th 04 03:44 PM