Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
David G.[_2_] David G.[_2_] is offline

Default MS Word not retaining changes to styles (indent values)

I am working on reformatting a Word document for a colleague. One change I am trying to make is the indent of some bulleted items, which are under a style called "List Paragraph."

The original indent settings were Left Indent .75", Hanging Indent .25". I selected the drop-down menu next to the style, and changed the left indent three times, the last being .2" Left Indent and .2" Hanging Indent.

Those latest values are retained in the style, but in the document on-screen, the indent values refuse to change, and the ruler shows the previous indent settings (as does the actual body of text).

Why is the text refusing to reflect the new indent settings?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

By default, Word uses the List Paragraph style when you create a numbered or
bulleted list. If you are actually trying to modify the indent in numbered
and/or bulleted lists by changing the List Paragraph style, then you are out
of luck. It simply doesn't work.

For an existing numbered (bulleted) list, do the following: Click the list
symbol (the actual bullet or number) so that Word selects all symbols in the
list. Then right-click and choose Adjust List Indents from the context menu.
Change the indent. (Repeat for other lists.)

If you want to save a number (or bullet) format for easy reuse, modify the
built-in List Number or List Bullet style. Whenever you need list
formatting, apply either of these styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP