Add front/cover page from report template to an old report document?

Old March 1st 12, 10:54 PM
wordtalk wordtalk is offline

Default Add front/cover page from report template to an old report document?

Hi,
Is there a way to copy the front/cover page of an existing word report template to an old word document? For example, I need to add my report template styles (customised) to an old word document report which has different template styles. I know how to copy the styles from my report template to the old report however my own report template has a front/cover page with the company logo, images and a table with text fields which I'd like to copy over to the old report which uses old company information and settings. Is there a way to select the front/cover page from my report template and add it to the old report? My only other solution is to copy and paste all the text from the old report and paste it in my own report template. I'd like to avoid it if I can as it's a long 40 page report. I currently use Word 2007 but I'm happy to hear of Word 2010 techniques too as I know they're quite similar.

Many thanks in advance!!
Old March 2nd 12, 03:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Theoretically, you could just copy/paste the cover page into the old
document, but realistically, it will be more satisfactory to create a new
document based on your template (with cover page) and then use Insert | Text
| Object | Text from File to insert the old document into the new one (after
the cover page). That way you'll get not only the cover page but also the
styles automatically.

http://word.mvps.org

--
wordtalk

Old March 8th 12, 03:04 AM
wordtalk wordtalk is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your response. I tried your steps and it worked a charm! There's still a little rejigging to do because the old document didn't use the proper styles when it was originally generated (only text typed) so I still need to go through it to match the new template styles, update the TOC, headers and footers and page numbers. But otherwise...it's better than cutting and pasting.

Thank you very much!

[quote=Suzanne S. Barnhill;492012]Theoretically, you could just copy/paste the cover page into the old