Unbreakable?

Default After unbreakable spaces, the unbreakable [DASH, NOT HYPHEN!!]

I think MS Word used to know the unbreaking dash (I believe it was still
featured in Word97?) but this valuable function has disapeared in the newer
versions. The non-breaking Em- or En-dash is needed when typing for instance
German texts, in which the Em -or En-dash is often followed by comma, full
stop, colon, or semicolon; this applies also to at least older English
literature too, I think. The absence of non-breaking dash in MSWord is really
a nuisance when one would like to cite such texts accurately. So the
non-breaking Em- or En-dash IS NOT THE SAME AS non-breaking hyphen. Therefore
I'm sorry to say that this thread has not been very useful with regard to the
question concerning the non-breaking DASH.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" kirjoitti:

This is a bugger, isn't it? I've sometimes used the minus sign (glyph 2212)
for this. It's a trifle higher (at least in TNR) but the same width, and
ISTR that it's nonbreaking.

"Robert M. Franz" wrote in message
Hi all

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen.

Does anyone off-hand remember whether there's a non-breaking en-dash (at
least in my mother tongue, I really should use an en-dash for that sort
of hyphen ...).

Greetinx
.bob
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

As I pointed out, the minus sign can be used for a non-breaking en dash. I
don't know of any way to get a nonbreaking em dash (unless it is present in
"large" Unicode fonts).

"Unbreakable?" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen.

Does anyone off-hand remember whether there's a non-breaking en-dash

(at
least in my mother tongue, I really should use an en-dash for that

sort
of hyphen ...).

Greetinx
.bob
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Unbreakable?

Thank you very much, and sorry for being too rash about what you suggested: I
mean I just read your messages again and tried the "glyph 2212" and you're
right, it does provide us with a non-breaking En-dash (its being "a trifle
higher" is no problem, nor is the absence of non-breaking Em-dash). It took a
while for me to discover the glyph through "Insert - Symbol - etc." and how
the shortcut works, but I did. Thanks again!