IndexTurret

Default Runtime error involving "scoring.cpp" since Office SP2 update?

-Has anyone else gotten Runtime error dialogs referring to "scoring.cpp line
133 Expression ret" since installing Office SP2 update?
-I gather that this has to do with add-ins not working right. I tried
removing my palmapp and PDFMaker add-ins, but it still occurred. I tried
HelpDetect and repair.
-Any light to shed on this? I think I can just ignore it but wish I knew
what's up.
IndexTurret

-I'm posting here an update of my experience, so that if anyone else reads
this thread they may possibly benefit.
-The runtime error noted below was apparently related NOT to the Adobe
PDFMaker add-in, but rather to my Dorland's Electronic Medical Speller
(medical terminology spellchecking add-in). I discovered this empirically. It
SEEMS (although I cannot swear to this) that after you've updated Office 2003
to Office 2003 SP2 (Service Pack 2), the Dorland's Medical Speller causes
this runtime error.
-My workaround, for now, is to turn the medical dictionary off, thus:
ToolsOptions, "Spelling & Grammar" tab, "Speller type" drop-down menu
changed from "Medical" to "Normal". I don't need the medical spellcheck badly
enough to worry about it right now.
-In the future I may do the following if I have time/need the spellcheck
badly:
(a) Try uninstalling (via "Add or Remove Programs") then reinstalling
Dorland's;
(b) If that doesn't work, ask Elsevier (maker of Dorland's) to issue a fix.
Thanks

"IndexTurret" wrote:

-Has anyone else gotten Runtime error dialogs referring to "scoring.cpp line
133 Expression ret" since installing Office SP2 update?
-I gather that this has to do with add-ins not working right. I tried
removing my palmapp and PDFMaker add-ins, but it still occurred. I tried
HelpDetect and repair.
-Any light to shed on this? I think I can just ignore it but wish I knew
what's up.

the medical scribe

Thanks!!! I have Dorland's because in my job I need a medical spell checker.
When I get a minute I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling. And if that
doesn't work, I'll contact Elsevier and see if they will supply a fix.
--
Scribe

"IndexTurret" wrote:

-Has anyone else gotten Runtime error dialogs referring to "scoring.cpp line
133 Expression ret" since installing Office SP2 update?
-I gather that this has to do with add-ins not working right. I tried
removing my palmapp and PDFMaker add-ins, but it still occurred. I tried
HelpDetect and repair.
-Any light to shed on this? I think I can just ignore it but wish I knew
what's up.

Elsevier Tech

Yes, there is a 'surprise' issue with Office 2003 SP2 where users get
this error message. Changing the Speller Type to Normal will
deactivate the speller and suppress the error.

We have notified Microsoft and they tell us they are looking in to it.
As soon as I get a reply from them I will forward it to you.

Hi - I just had the same experience. I downloaded Office 2003 Service
Pack 2 & then got that same error message whenever I tried to open a
word file. The error message gives me 3 options: Abort Retry
Ignore. If I click on Abort or Retry, the Word document closes &
that's all she wrote. However, if I click on Ignore I can still go
ahead and work in Word. I DID uninstall -- and then reinstall -- the
Dorland spellchecker software. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the
problem. The good news is that, as long as I click on Ignore (each
time I open a Word file, and thanks so much Microsoft!), the Dorland
spellchecker IS WORKING. I am a medical transcriptionist & MUST have
access to this software, so I am willing to put up with the error
message (and clicking Ignore) every damn time I open a Word file. I
hope Microsoft and/or Elsevier can come up with a fix. I must say that
7 times out of 10, a Microsoft "upgrade" ends up causing more problems
than it was created to solve, but then that's Microsoft for you.
Unfortunately, Microsoft offers NO OPTION for uninstalling their
Service Pack 2 upgrade (according to their Download page) -- so I'm
stuck with this crappy upgrade & will keep clicking the Ignore tab
dozens of times a day until a fix is provided (not holding my breath on
that one!).

Elsevier Tech

Microsoft provided us with a new version of the spelling engine DLL
that fixes the problem. We have created a self-extracting exe file that
when run will overwrite the current version of the DLL with the update
provided by Microsoft. In order for the file swap to be successful,
Microsoft Word must be closed.

http://spellex.com/exes/Mssp3spx.exe