Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Devon Stout

Default Mail merge to continuous labels skips labels between pages

I am using Word 2002 to create a mail merge to labels from data in an Excel
2002 spreadsheet. Specifically, I'm creating mailing labels using the
Address Block property and adding on a mailing bar code. Everything works
just fine as far as creating the merge; however, I'm experiencing a problem
with my print, and I'm not sure if it's an issue with Word or with the
printer driver or something else entirely.

I am using continuous feed labels, Avery 4013, on a Tally T6050 printer. I
have selected this label type in the merge process. After I complete the
merge, I select "Edit Individual Labels," and use that to preview them, and
everything seems fine (no empty labels). When the document prints, however,
every 12 labels (the number of labels between folds) the printer skips 2
labels. I have tried setting up custom labels, without success. Since I'm
printing upwards of 11,000 labels a week, that's nearly 1000 labels wasted
each week, so this is a pretty big issue.

Hope someone has some insight. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

This is probably due to the printer skipping perforations. There is usually
a dip switch on the printer that can be used to control whether or not it
does that, though looking at the features of that printer at
http://www.twindata.com/Tally/T6050.htm#Specifications, it is probably
configurable through the Printer Control Panel.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Devon Stout" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CMLCBigGuy

In fact, this is the fault of Word2000, and 2003 as well. I have an Epson
850FX printer and also use the Avery 4013 under XP Pro. True, there is a
perf skip switch on the printer, clearly documented, and I have it set OFF.
By carefully setting the top and bottom margins and the header and footer all
to "0" (zero) and the printer driver to 8 by 12 and Print Direct, the extra
space can be reduced to only one line space (1/6 inch) on each page, but this
throws the second page out of register by one line, and succeeding pages are
then further out of register!
I proved to my satisfaction that the problem was in Word and not in the
printer driver I am using(it the one that installs from XP) I can print the
same labels (exported from Excel by CSV) with a ten dollar label
program(Proventure Label Maker)!!! It works perfectly on the same hardware.
Avery Labelpro also works fine.
Oddly enough, the FX850 driver in XP does not have a continuous paper
setting or fanfold setting(why not?). I note that Win98 did have such a
setting. I use the closest equiv. setting, which I think is 8 by 12 paper.
I know of several other people who have had the same problem, all have gone
to other label programs to do the work. Note that if the problem were due to
the printer skipping perfs, then it would also do the same thing on any label
program!
Please let me know, Thanks!!!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I would suggest that it is a printer driver problem. See if Epson has an
updated driver for the printer.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CMLCBigGuy

I would suggest that this is NOT a printer driver problem. I proved this to
my satisfaction by running labels successfully using another program and the
SAME printer driver! Epson does not have a printer driver for this printer
under XP--they do for Win98 and ME. I note many people on this forum
complaining of this, and while some may be due to printer settings, not all
are! Please investigate.
Thank you,
CMLCBigGuy