Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
3C 3C is offline

Default Recipient Filters

I am completing a label merge with the recipient list in Excel. I edit the
list based on my criteria using the Advanced filters. I get the proper data,
however as soon as I go to preview my labels or complete the merge, Word
somehow adds more filters to my criteria & the wrong amount of data is placed
on my labels.

I have started from a new document as well have copied & pasted my data to a
new excel file as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There are problems in this area in some versions of Word (which version are
you using), because
a. Word generatesan SQL query to get the data from Excel
b. Word either adds stuff to the query that should not be there, or in some
cases, the query does not actually work as it should

Broadly speaking there are two ways you can work around it:
a. you can try connecting via DDE, which will in most cases get the data
you asked for, but only if it is in the first sheet in the workbook and does
not contain non-ANSI Unicode characters
b. you can use Word VBA and the OpenDataSource method to issue the query
you really want (and to redo that, if necessary, each time you open the
document. But let's only go into the details of that if necessary.

Peter Jamieson

"3C" wrote in message
I am completing a label merge with the recipient list in Excel. I edit the
list based on my criteria using the Advanced filters. I get the proper
data,
however as soon as I go to preview my labels or complete the merge, Word
somehow adds more filters to my criteria & the wrong amount of data is
placed
on my labels.

I have started from a new document as well have copied & pasted my data to
new excel file as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
3C 3C is offline

Thanks Peter! We are using 2003 however I believe the merge was created with
2000 & then converted over. For no apparent reason other than trying for 4
hours to make this work it is now working. If it decides to fail again I
will definetly try your VBA suggestion.

Thanks again!

"3C" wrote in message
I am completing a label merge with the recipient list in Excel. I edit the
list based on my criteria using the Advanced filters. I get the proper
data,
however as soon as I go to preview my labels or complete the merge, Word
somehow adds more filters to my criteria & the wrong amount of data is
placed
on my labels.

I have started from a new document as well have copied & pasted my data to
new excel file as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

MailMerge is changing my filters! nineuht Mailmerge 1 November 9th 06 02:37 PM
Mail Merge Filters Jan L Mailmerge 4 June 1st 06 06:57 AM
Corrupted graphics filters? Blackwater Park Microsoft Word Help 2 April 13th 06 08:31 AM
How do i load search filters Dave A Microsoft Word Help 1 December 30th 05 02:10 PM
Word HTML filters Pop New Users 2 January 13th 05 02:54 AM