Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Holmes

Default Saved word file reopens as a series of squares and symbols. Why?

I SAVED A WORD FILE TO DISK TO TRANSFER TO MY NOTEBOOK. wHEN I TRY TO OPEN
THIS FILE ALL THE TEXT IS REPLACED BY A SERIES OF SQUARES ABD SYMBOLS E.G.
ÐÏ *¡± á þÿ þÿÿÿ þÿÿÿ

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ.IS THER SOME WAY OF FIXING THIS AS I NO LONGER HAVE THE ORIGINAL COMPUTER.
THANKS. PAUL
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Your CapsLock key is broken too. Either that, or you are
deliberately SHOUTING at the people from whom you ask help, which
is probably not the best approach.

Paul Holmes wrote:

I SAVED A WORD FILE TO DISK TO TRANSFER TO MY NOTEBOOK. wHEN I TRY TO OPEN
THIS FILE ALL THE TEXT IS REPLACED BY A SERIES OF SQUARES ABD SYMBOLS E.G.
ÐÏ *¡± á þÿ þÿÿÿ þÿÿÿ

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ.IS THER SOME WAY OF FIXING THIS AS I NO LONGER HAVE THE ORIGINAL COMPUTER.
THANKS. PAUL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Matt Kneale

Default Saved word file reopens as a series of squares and symbols. Wh

Try looking at your screen to see what you are writing before asking us for
help Either that, or fix your damn Caps Lock.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Mabers wrote:
I would very much like to have an answer to this question too.

I SAVED A WORD FILE TO DISK TO TRANSFER TO MY NOTEBOOK. wHEN I TRY TO OPEN
THIS FILE ALL THE TEXT IS REPLACED BY A SERIES OF SQUARES ABD SYMBOLS E.G.
ÐÏ *¡± á þÿ þÿÿÿ þÿÿÿ

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ.IS THER SOME WAY OF FIXING THIS AS I NO LONGER HAVE THE ORIGINAL COMPUTER.
THANKS. PAUL

Test whether the computer where you're opening this file is set to
"Recover Text from any File" (in the File | Open dialog). Other than
that: don't save to disk (I assume you're talking "good ol' floppy"
here), but save to harddisc and copy the file over.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mabers

Hmmmmmmm.........I'm not really gettin' what you mean, but maybe I should
explain a little more thoroughly.
When I create a document in Word and save it to, for example, My Documents,
when I go to open it with a double left click, I get that jibberish bunch of
Ys. If I right click and Open With Word, I get the document as written. Now
one other time that I can't open a Word file is if I get one in an wmail.
There I have no right click choice. If you understood my problem in the first
place, would you explain in a little more depth your answer please?
Thanks,
M.