Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Adams Tom Adams is offline

Default Are .doc files used for electronic delivery?

I get the impression that .doc files can't be used for electronic
delivery because some of the features (custom autotext, styles) are
not in the .doc file.

Is that true?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

"Tom Adams" wrote in message

I get the impression that .doc files can't be used for electronic
delivery because some of the features (custom autotext, styles) are
not in the .doc file.

Is that true?- Hide quoted text -

I work for one organization. We deliver documents to another
organization. I think we are in the practice of delivering .doc files
as electronic delivery. (Not sure, the person who knows is out
today.)

I was working on a document today and realized that my custom autotext
fields were not stored in the .doc file. They are stored somewhere in
my environment. I am pretty sure that if this .doc file is delivered
to my client, then various things will start showing up as "Error!
Autotext entry not found" or something like that. If the client tried
to print the document, it looks like the autotext are automatically
updated, but without the right environment that updating will fail.

Also, some googling seemed to imply that certain style elements may
also not be in the .doc file, so that the format will change if the
client opens the file in a different environment.

I am trying to figure out if all this is true.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the aim is that the recipient can print a hard copy of the document and
have it appear exactly as you see it then send a PDF format document and use
only standard fonts.
If the document needs to be editable then you can unlink any fields it
contains that may be changed by updating.. The following macro will unlink
all the fields in the document

Dim oStory As Range
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
oStory.Fields.Update
If oStory.StoryType wdMainTextStory Then
While Not (oStory.NextStoryRange Is Nothing)
Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange
oStory.Fields.Unlink
Wend
End If
Next oStory
Set oStory = Nothing.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you want to distribute not only document content, but also AutoText
entries (and/or macros) to other people, you will have to send them both the
document and the appropriate template.

Actual contents and styles in the document won't change, but the appearance
of the document on the target computer may be different depending on the
fonts and printer driver installed.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tom Adams" wrote in message

I get the impression that .doc files can't be used for electronic
delivery because some of the features (custom autotext, styles) are
not in the .doc file.

Is that true?

OleRasmussen OleRasmussen is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post
The following macro will unlink
all the fields in the document

Dim oStory As Range
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
oStory.Fields.Update
If oStory.StoryType wdMainTextStory Then
While Not (oStory.NextStoryRange Is Nothing)
Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange
oStory.Fields.Unlink
Wend
End If
Next oStory
Set oStory = Nothing.

This is great - I can really use this too, but I find, that it "only" unlinks fields on the actual "frontpage" of the document - I have fields I'd like to unlink in both the header and the frontpage - and they are in textboxes to make things more complicated :-) Can the macro be modified in order to reach such items too?

Thanky you very much in advance!