John Gregory

Default Autotext and template compatibility

This is a re-post since I did not get any responses with the prior posting

I created my auto text entries in Word 2000, in Normal.dot, but when I use
them in Word 2003, they show up as a tracked change. I then have to accept
the change to get the text. This is problemactic, since track changes is not
on. I have tried multiple combinations of tracked change settings, but this
has no effect. New autotext entries I create work normally.

Another possibly related issue, is that templates created in Word 2000, show
up as "Damaged" in Word 2003. These templates work fine in Word 2000 -
checked, recopied, cross checked same templates back into Word 2000.

As a test, I have tried these in several computers with differing windows
versions (Win XP/Word 2k, Win 2k/Word 2k, Win XP/Word 2003, Win 2k/Word
2003), all with the same results.

Are there some compatibility issues with Word 2000 and 2003?

How can I correct these?

Original set-up Windows 2000, Office 2000, Laptop, Pentium 4, 500Mb ram.
New set-up Windows XP, Office 2003, Laptop, Pentium 4, 500Mb ram (same
computer).
Charles Kenyon

Word 2003 notices document corruption at an earlier (lighter) stage than did
earlier versions. The corruption is there even though the earlier versions
don't notice it.

Track changes must be on in your new document if your insertions are showing
up with track changes markings or they had to be on in your creation
document but possibly hidden (set up to display final without markup). If
you are not showing markings on other things you insert, then they were on
when the original entries were created.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"John Gregory" wrote in message
[...]

SVC

Not sure if this helps, but I have a question:

Are you using the Word 2000 template in Word 2003--that is, did you save a
copy from Word 2000 and try to use it in Word 2003?

One possible fix, if this is the case. First, save a copy of your current
Normal.dot template for future reference or recovery. Now, rename a copy of
your old Normal.dot that has the AutoText entries you are trying to reuse.
Then, open an blank document in Word 2003, the Format Style, select
Organizer. Close File on the Right side, Open File with the renamed old
Normal.dot, select the AutoText tab and select and copy your AutoText entries
into your current Normal.dot. Then Close the Organizer box and Close the
blank document. If asked to Save Normal.dot, say OK.

Now Open a new blank document and try your AutoText entries. If this does
not work, replace this copy of Normal.dot with the backup of Normal.dot that
you created at the beginning.