Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kirstin

Default Styles and Template

I have 179 files that have already been created and which I need to change
the styles for. I created a template with macros and custom styles. I've
added it to the Templates and Add-ins for 6 users. The macros that are in
that template work fine, but I can't get the styles to show up when the users
add the template and open any one of the existing files. What am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

The styles available at any time are those in the document itself, and in
the template on which the document is based. Styles in an add-in are not
available. You can use the organiser (button on the Templates and Add-ins
dialog) to copy styles from one document or template into a document.

"Kirstin" wrote in message
I have 179 files that have already been created and which I need to change
the styles for. I created a template with macros and custom styles. I've
added it to the Templates and Add-ins for 6 users. The macros that are in
that template work fine, but I can't get the styles to show up when the
users
add the template and open any one of the existing files. What am I
missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

That isn't how global templates work. See
http://addbalance.com/word/stylesheet.htm for ideas.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Kirstin" wrote in message
I have 179 files that have already been created and which I need to change
the styles for. I created a template with macros and custom styles. I've
added it to the Templates and Add-ins for 6 users. The macros that are in
that template work fine, but I can't get the styles to show up when the
users
add the template and open any one of the existing files. What am I
missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

As others have indicated, this is not how global templates work. You could
attach a template to your documents and update the style definitions of
similarly named styles to those of the other template eg the following
macro will do that for all the documents in a folder.

As written it applies normal.dot, but the template defined at NormalPath
could be addressed to your template.

Sub ApplyNormalTemplate() 'to all files in a folder

Dim myFile As String
Dim PathToUse As String
Dim myDoc As Document
Dim NormalPath

'set the location of Normal.dot
NormalPath = Chr(34) & _
Options.DefaultFilePath(wdUserTemplatesPath) & _
"\Normal.dot" & Chr(34)

With Dialogs(wdDialogCopyFile)
If .Display 0 Then
PathToUse = .Directory
Else
MsgBox "Cancelled by User"
Exit Sub
End If
End With

If Documents.Count 0 Then
Documents.Close SaveChanges:=wdPromptToSaveChanges
End If

If Left(PathToUse, 1) = Chr(34) Then
PathToUse = Mid(PathToUse, 2, Len(PathToUse) - 2)
End If

myFile = Dir$(PathToUse & "*.doc")

While myFile ""
Set myDoc = Documents.Open(PathToUse & myFile)
With ActiveDocument
.UpdateStylesOnOpen = True
.AttachedTemplate = NormalPath
End With