pubgal23

Default Macros not "sticking" to template

We created a bunch of macros on a new template on a single-user computer.
Now, we need to share the template/macros. The template appears to work fine
on the computer where it was created. However, when we send the file via
email or put it on a network server, the macros show up when the person who
created the macros opens the file on her computer...but when anyone else
does, there are no macros there! The file says that the template is the same,
the tools-templates/add ins folder says that the template is loaded and it's
looking in the right place, but there are no macros...what are we missing?
I'm sure it's something simple, we just are driving ourselves NUTS with it!
We changed the startup location and the template location in
tools-options-file locations to match on all of the computers and still,
nothing.
Anything anyone can think of that we are missing?

Graham Mayor

Are you sure the macros are actually in the template and not in the
originator's normal.dot file?
Do the other users have the macro security set to high?

pubgal23 wrote:
We created a bunch of macros on a new template on a single-user
computer. Now, we need to share the template/macros. The template
appears to work fine on the computer where it was created. However,
when we send the file via email or put it on a network server, the
macros show up when the person who created the macros opens the file
on her computer...but when anyone else does, there are no macros
there! The file says that the template is the same, the
tools-templates/add ins folder says that the template is loaded and
it's looking in the right place, but there are no macros...what are
we missing? I'm sure it's something simple, we just are driving
ourselves NUTS with it! We changed the startup location and the
template location in tools-options-file locations to match on all of
the computers and still, nothing.
Anything anyone can think of that we are missing?

pubgal23

On the owner's computer, the guides.dot (our new template) has the macros
showing up, even if that person opens the actual template on the server, the
macros are there...but if I open the same file, they are not. It does seem
like the macros aren't really in that document, but then how do we "find"
them and transfer them to where they should be?

However, by some miracle, we started from scratch and sort of made them
work...though a bunch of of the key assignments go missing in the
translation...any sense of what that might be? We are setting this up for the
boss, who has worked in WP for 20 years, and has his macros that he can't
work without. We created them all, but now when he works at home, we don't
know how to make him able to just start up and start working, if the key
assignments keep dissappearing.

The security settings are all set to medium.
thanks!

pubgal23 wrote:
We created a bunch of macros on a new template on a single-user
computer. Now, we need to share the template/macros. The template
appears to work fine on the computer where it was created. However,
when we send the file via email or put it on a network server, the
macros show up when the person who created the macros opens the file
on her computer...but when anyone else does, there are no macros
there! The file says that the template is the same, the
tools-templates/add ins folder says that the template is loaded and
it's looking in the right place, but there are no macros...what are
we missing? I'm sure it's something simple, we just are driving
ourselves NUTS with it! We changed the startup location and the
template location in tools-options-file locations to match on all of
the computers and still, nothing.
Anything anyone can think of that we are missing?

Graham Mayor

You can use the organiser to move macros from normal.dot to your template,
or in the vba editor from the 'normal' project cut and paste to the 'guides'
project. I suspect that copying normal.dot from his office machine over the
normal.dot on his home machine would be a simpler fix for the boss.