Joseph N.

Default Changed Template

I have several specialized templates in my template directory. The path to the directory where I have these templates is my user template directory, which Word (2002) has as my template path.

I also have a directory of "templates" that are utilized by a database program I use. These "templates" resulted from saving each of my Word templates with a .doc extension in the directory that the database program uses for its "templates." When I need to use one of these "templates" in the database program, I pick various data to be pasted or merged (depending on my purposes), and I pick the "template" I need for the job.

I normally do not keep a normal.dot template between Word sessions.

I just discovered that the "templates" being used by the database program show, in File/Properties, that they are based on normal.dot. Why? If the document results from being Saved As from another specific template, then why would it be based on normal.dot instead of that other template?

I have just attached the appropriate templates to each of the "templates" and resaved them. If this is necessary to do in order to avoid normal.dot being the underlying template for these specialized documents, is there an automated way to do it?

--
JN

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "
Charles Kenyon

They are based on normal.dot because that is the template that is used when
no other template is specified.

Word creates a new normal.dot when you start it, at least in memory, if it
can't find an existing normal.dot template.

You can use a macro to attach a different template to any document if you
want. The easy way, though, is to use real Word templates and create your
documents based on them.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "