Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bren Lane Bren Lane is offline

Default Trying to open docx in IE 6 or 7

When trying to open a .docx in IE 6 or 7 it comes up with a file association
of winzip. if winzip is loaded it unzips but we can not view the document?
Why is it doing this? I've downloaded the format converter and it working.
The file association in windows is correct. How can we get IE to just open
the document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
renee renee is offline

Interesting. Do you want the file to open up inside of IE? And are you
using WinXP or Vista?
If you're on WinXP, try this:
Bring up My Computer
Tools-Folder Options-File Types tab, scroll down and find *.docx
Make sure it says it will open in Word
Click Advanced
Check the box for Browse in Same Window.
Exit out of the dialogs and try opening a .docx from IE again.

"Bren Lane" wrote:

When trying to open a .docx in IE 6 or 7 it comes up with a file association
of winzip. if winzip is loaded it unzips but we can not view the document?
Why is it doing this? I've downloaded the format converter and it working.
The file association in windows is correct. How can we get IE to just open
the document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bren Lane Bren Lane is offline

Hi Renee,

I am using WinXP and would like to have the document open in Word. These
documents are resumes sent to our company via the web. Our HR dept is using
webbased application to access which is why IE is involved. I followed your
instructions, however the Browse in same window is grayed out.

When we tried using netscape or mozilla it prompts to choose an application
to open this since those two browsers don't recognize that extension.

Bren