Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jenny Jenny is offline

Default vertically center an image with text (not tables)

when inserting image in line with text, if you have a large image, the text
appears at the bottom of the image. How do I set it so that the text appears
vertically center of the image? (not in tables)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:08:01 -0800, jenny
wrote:

when inserting image in line with text, if you have a large image, the text
appears at the bottom of the image. How do I set it so that the text appears
vertically center of the image? (not in tables)

Let me say first that using a two-cell table, with the in-line image
in one cell and the text in the other cell, would be the easiest way
to do this. It might be helpful if you explain why you don't want to
use a table.

The other way to arrange this requires that you change the image from
in-line to floating (either Square or Tight wrapping, which are the
same for a rectangular image). Using the Format Picture Layout
Advanced dialog of Word 2003 (or the Picture Format Position More
Layout Options dialog in Word 2007), set the horizontal position to
Left relative to Margin, and set the vertical position to 0 relative
to Paragraph. Then set the paragraph's Space Above and Space Below
measurements to take up the remainder of the height of the image.

You'll find that the latter method is very difficult to get right,
involving trial and error to get the spacing right. Also, if you edit
the text closer to the beginning of the document so the image's anchor
paragraph moves too close to the top or bottom of the page, the layout
will be messed up. The table approach avoids both of these problems.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman