Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Knowledge in Action Knowledge in Action is offline

Default auto text file path in Word 2007 footers

How can I insert the filepath and name into a footer with auto text, like
Word 2003 allowed me to do?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Go to Footer and type "Filename a" press F3 and autotext entry will play.
Autotext is now in Building Blocks Organizer which can be added to QAT or
accessed via QuickParts on Ribbon.
Autotext will play if you type enough distinctive characters and press F3.

Check the Help File

Hope this helps.

"Knowledge in Action" Knowledge in wrote
in message ...
How can I insert the filepath and name into a footer with auto text, like
Word 2003 allowed me to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Knowledge in Action[_2_] Knowledge in Action[_2_] is offline

"Knowledge in Action" wrote:

How can I insert the filepath and name into a footer with auto text, like
Word 2003 allowed me to do?

I followed the instructions you gave:

"Go to Footer and type "Filename a" press F3 and autotext entry will play.
Autotext is now in Building Blocks Organizer which can be added to QAT or
accessed via QuickParts on Ribbon. Autotext will play if you type enough
distinctive characters and press F3."

and received the following message after hitting the F3 key: "The specified
text is not a valid building block name."

I was not able to find the QuickParts on the ribbon either.

Any other suggestions??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Position the insertion point where you want the filename to appear, then:

Press Ctrl+F9. This inserts field braces { }.

Between the braces, type: filename \p

Press F9.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Knowledge in Action" wrote in
message ...

"Knowledge in Action" wrote:

How can I insert the filepath and name into a footer with auto text, like
Word 2003 allowed me to do?

I followed the instructions you gave:

"Go to Footer and type "Filename a" press F3 and autotext entry will play.
Autotext is now in Building Blocks Organizer which can be added to QAT or
accessed via QuickParts on Ribbon. Autotext will play if you type enough
distinctive characters and press F3."

and received the following message after hitting the F3 key: "The
specified
text is not a valid building block name."

I was not able to find the QuickParts on the ribbon either.

Any other suggestions??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hillychris hillychris is offline

I just cannot get it to work, I'm pressing F3 but nothing happens
Please send me another answer in very plain English - I'm a beginner!!

"Summer" wrote:

Go to Footer and type "Filename a" press F3 and autotext entry will play.
Autotext is now in Building Blocks Organizer which can be added to QAT or
accessed via QuickParts on Ribbon.
Autotext will play if you type enough distinctive characters and press F3.

Check the Help File

Hope this helps.

"Knowledge in Action" Knowledge in wrote
in message ...
How can I insert the filepath and name into a footer with auto text, like
Word 2003 allowed me to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It works with fewer characters, but what you type must be unique. If you
have Alexandria and Alexander, then you would need to type Alexandr or
Alexande before pressing F3 to get a result. If you type only Alex and press
F3, Word doesn't know which one to insert.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you typing at least four characters of the AutoText entry name before
pressing F3.

so
all may benefit.