Scamp45

Default Apostrophe will not appear until next letter typed. Why?

Is there a feature that needs to be turned off to keep this from happening?
garfield-n-odie

You probably have an international keyboard layout selected in
Windows. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306560 "How To
Use the United States-International Keyboard Layout in Windows
XP", except that you want to select the standard U.S. keyboard
instead of the U.S.-International keyboard.