Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Default Autonumbering without tabs?

Is there a way to define an autonumbering style without any tabs? I would
like an autonumber to be used in table cells. The idea is to center the
number in the cell; no tab is needed. I've tried various permutations of the
number and text settings for the number, but it's never quite right. Would
like to eliminate the tab altogether.

This is for Word 2003 SP2 (Win. XP Pro.).

Thx!
--
GMc
Phoenix
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Why not just use a field? Insert | Field | Numbering. You can center, tab
or whatever you like once you have the number field in the cells in your
table.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"GMc" wrote:

Is there a way to define an autonumbering style without any tabs? I would
like an autonumber to be used in table cells. The idea is to center the
number in the cell; no tab is needed. I've tried various permutations of the
number and text settings for the number, but it's never quite right. Would
like to eliminate the tab altogether.

This is for Word 2003 SP2 (Win. XP Pro.).

Thx!
--
GMc
Phoenix

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi GMc

GMc wrote:
Is there a way to define an autonumbering style without any tabs? I would
like an autonumber to be used in table cells. The idea is to center the
number in the cell; no tab is needed. I've tried various permutations of the
number and text settings for the number, but it's never quite right. Would
like to eliminate the tab altogether.

You can define a numbered style, and set all indents/tabs to zero. But
that will still not quite get you there.

I'd rather use an SEQ (look up the syntax of this field in Word's
offline help and come back if you have questions) field in each cell,
and center align the contents (through a style, or a decimal tab :-)).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Thanks, Carol. I never used a field because I have been too focused on styles
w/autonumbering, and didn't even think of field alternatives (duh). Thanks
much for rattling my brain. :-)
--
GMc
Phoenix

"GMc" wrote:

Is there a way to define an autonumbering style without any tabs? I would
like an autonumber to be used in table cells. The idea is to center the
number in the cell; no tab is needed. I've tried various permutations of the
number and text settings for the number, but it's never quite right. Would
like to eliminate the tab altogether.

This is for Word 2003 SP2 (Win. XP Pro.).

Thx!
--
GMc
Phoenix

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Robert,
Thanks to you as well for jogging my brain out of the "style definition"
world. Tell me, what are benefits of SEQ vs. LISTNUM?

Thx again,
--
GMc
Phoenix

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

GMc wrote:
Thanks to you as well for jogging my brain out of the "style definition"
world.

You're welcome! :-)

Tell me, what are benefits of SEQ vs. LISTNUM?

Use LISTNUM when you want to "link" into a predefined outline numbering
scheme. I can imagine that these are popular in law offices where
numbering sometimes needs to be inline and not only bound to heading
styles. ["Popular" in conjunction with "numbering in Word" might be
stretching it a bit ... :-)]

In your case, though, the SEQ field should suffice. It's very old (read:
stable), and you only need to think of updating it every now and then
(CTRL-A to SelectAll, F9 to update all fields in the selection).

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Freeze autonumbering Andy Microsoft Word Help 1 December 23rd 06 02:51 AM
Autonumbering 1.1.1, 1.2.2 HGL1 Microsoft Word Help 2 November 10th 06 04:23 PM
Autonumbering Enid Microsoft Word Help 0 September 22nd 05 10:34 PM
Autonumbering Fred Goldman Page Layout 3 February 14th 05 12:09 AM
autonumbering thebigmac Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 05 10:05 PM