felixwiener felixwiener is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up Word 2013 file Corrupted - unable to recover?

Hi, we've got a word file on a USB memory stick which has been corrupted beyond Words ability to recover.
The file is about 13Mb, and opens to display a page full of squares!
Opening in other programs such as notepad/wordpad/openoffice meets with similar results - blank, # or squares again!
I've tried recovering the file with PC Inspector File Recovery & Easy Recovery Professional, but although both "recover" the file, it still displays only squares!

Is there any way to retreive the information in the file?

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2013 file Corrupted - unable to recover?

Assuming that this is a *.docx file, you can try changing the filename
extension to *.zip and then opening the zip archive. Document text, if there
is any left that can be retrieved, will be in the document.xml file in the
archive.

However, the file could be corrupt beyond recovery, I'm afraid. You should
never save directly to removable media, but saving on the hard drive and
then copying to USB is OK, of course.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP