Syam

Default Check Word suggestions on 'Advise' and 'advice' in sentences

The word suggestions on usage of 'Advise' and 'Advice' is misleading.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Graham Mayor

In what way? Advise is a verb, advice a noun.
Use the wrong one here and the grammar check throws up an error suggestion.

Syam wrote:
The word suggestions on usage of 'Advise' and 'Advice' is misleading.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Graham Mayor

Hmmm. Clearly that is wrong

Syam wrote:
The word suggestions on usage of 'Advise' and 'Advice' is
misleading.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Jezebel

That's nothing to do with 'advise' and 'advice' -- just the problem of
trying to determine the syntax of a sentence fragments. Natural language
parsing is still a very primitive science.

Syam wrote:
The word suggestions on usage of 'Advise' and 'Advice' is misleading.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Syam

But 'Please work' or 'Please check' is working fine.. but not 'Please
advise'. so i stil think ther is a problem in these two words. Even though
the language parsing is not very advanced, these things are basic right ?

Syam wrote:
The word suggestions on usage of 'Advise' and 'Advice' is misleading.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Stefan Blom

Could it be that grammar check thinks that advise requires an object,
such as: Please advise *me*?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP