Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sammie Sammie is offline

Default Keep Page format constant but different for header and document

My header has a picture of my letterhead in it. The margins for the header
are all 0: top, bottom, left right. After the header on page 1, I start a
new continuous section with the main document margins of .75" on top,
bottom, left right. Works great on page 1. The problem is when I paste text
into the document that runs into the second page, the header on the 2nd page
takes the margins of the main document from page 1.

How can I preserve the margins on the header for all pages and also preserve
the main document margins? I don't want to have to create new sections
after copying multiple pages of text. Is there a way to lock the page format
of just the header so that it's always different from the page format of the
main document?
--
Thanks.
Sammie SBS 2003, OFFICE 2003, XP-PRO-SP3, IE7
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Wrong approach. Do this instead (you will not need any section breaks):

1. Set the margins (both page and header/footer) at whatever you want for
the entire document.

2. Enable "Different first page."

3. Put your letterhead graphic in the First Page Header, formatted as Behind
Text, with horizontal and vertical position both set to 0" relative to Page.

4. Add enough Space After to the header paragraph in the First Page Header
to push the document body down a comfortable distance below the letterhead.
You can enter this in terms of inches if you like; Word will convert to
points.

5. In the primary Header, put whatever text you want in the header on page 2
and beyond.

For more on all these techniques, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm

[...]