Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Surfer Surfer is offline

Default How do you type "x squared" as in mathematics using word?

Hello all. Pls help: is there anyone out there who can tell me how to type x
squared in the form of a mathematical equation, using MS Vista Word?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Surfer,

You do not tell us what version of Word...

For now type (say) ax2+bx+c ...

Select the '2'.

FormatFont
__select 'Superscript' ... OK.

All done!

Be aware that Word has an excellent equation editor for more complex formulae.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Surfer" wrote:

Hello all. Pls help: is there anyone out there who can tell me how to type x
squared in the form of a mathematical equation, using MS Vista Word?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or, hold down the Alt key and type 0178 on the numeric keypad for ² or 0179
for ³. Type 0176 for °

To get a complete list of the symbols that can be created in this way, run a
macro containing the following code:

' Macro created 12-08-98 by Doug Robbins to list symbols that can be
inserted via Alt+keypad
'
ActiveDocument.Tables.Add Range:=Selection.Range, NumRows:=1,
NumColumns:=3
Selection.TypeText Text:="Alt + Numeric Keypad"
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
Selection.TypeText Text:="Normal Font"
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
Selection.TypeText Text:="Symbol Font"
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
Symbol = 33
While Symbol 256
Selection.TypeText Text:="0" & LTrim$(Str$(Symbol))
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
With Selection
.InsertSymbol CharacterNumber:=Symbol, Font:="Normal",
Unicode:=False
End With
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
With Selection
.InsertSymbol CharacterNumber:=Symbol, Font:="Symbol",
Unicode:=False
End With
Symbol = Symbol + 1
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
Wend

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Surfer" wrote in message
Hello all. Pls help: is there anyone out there who can tell me how to type
squared in the form of a mathematical equation, using MS Vista Word?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Doug suggests, there are font characters for superscript 2 and 3 (and
higher numbers in some fonts); for other numbers, select the number and
press Ctrl+Shift+= to apply the Superscript font property.

http://word.mvps.org