Albert

Default Supressing varying number of rows for each recipient

I am using Access as my data source.
The project is a debt collection letter merge.
Each recipent has a different number of items due.
The relevant part of the record layout is as follows:
[Desc_1]; [Amt_1] [Desc_2]; [Amt_2]....[Desc_n]; [Amt_n]
The Description field is always NOT NULL; however, the Amount field may be
null.
If the Amount field is null, how do I supress it and the corrresponding
Description?

Thanks,
--
Albert Chen
Doug Robbins

Use an If...then...Else field construction to check the amount fields.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Albert" wrote in message
I am using Access as my data source.
The project is a debt collection letter merge.
Each recipent has a different number of items due.
The relevant part of the record layout is as follows:
[Desc_1]; [Amt_1] [Desc_2]; [Amt_2]....[Desc_n]; [Amt_n]
The Description field is always NOT NULL; however, the Amount field may be
null.
If the Amount field is null, how do I supress it and the corrresponding
Description?

Thanks,
--
Albert Chen

Albert

Hi Doug: Thanks for the reply; however, how does If Then Else apply to merge
fields? I have only seen it used to insert messages as Word Fields. Please
post a brief example of your solution. Thanks very much.
--
Albert Chen

"Albert" wrote in message
I am using Access as my data source.
The project is a debt collection letter merge.
Each recipent has a different number of items due.
The relevant part of the record layout is as follows:
[Desc_1]; [Amt_1] [Desc_2]; [Amt_2]....[Desc_n]; [Amt_n]
The Description field is always NOT NULL; however, the Amount field may be
null.
If the Amount field is null, how do I supress it and the corrresponding
Description?

Thanks,
--
Albert Chen

Graham Mayor

{IF {Mergefield Amt_1] "" "{Mergefield Desc_1} {Mergefield Amt_1}
"}etc

"Albert" wrote in message
I am using Access as my data source.
The project is a debt collection letter merge.
Each recipient has a different number of items due.
The relevant part of the record layout is as follows:
[Desc_1]; [Amt_1] [Desc_2]; [Amt_2]....[Desc_n]; [Amt_n]
The Description field is always NOT NULL; however, the Amount field
may be null.
If the Amount field is null, how do I supress it and the
corrresponding Description?

Thanks,
--
Albert Chen

Albert

I must be missing something.
The following is displayed in the body of my letter:

{IF 10.00 "" Late Payment Penalty 10.00 }
{IF "" Interest Charge }

So the test is not being performed because it is just merging the Amount
field twice.
Please help me resolve this. Thanks again.
--
Albert Chen

"Albert" wrote in message
I am using Access as my data source.
The project is a debt collection letter merge.
Each recipient has a different number of items due.
The relevant part of the record layout is as follows:
[Desc_1]; [Amt_1] [Desc_2]; [Amt_2]....[Desc_n]; [Amt_n]
The Description field is always NOT NULL; however, the Amount field
may be null.
If the Amount field is null, how do I supress it and the
corrresponding Description?

Thanks,
--
Albert Chen

Graham Mayor

Did you insert the field boundaries with CTRL+F9?

Albert wrote:
Hi Doug: Thanks for the reply; however, how does If Then Else apply
to merge fields? I have only seen it used to insert messages as
Word Fields. Please post a brief example of your solution. Thanks
very much.

Use an If...then...Else field construction to check the amount
fields.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP