Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoanG

Default Updating cross references changes formatting of other text

I have a long document that has many crossreferences to figures. The cross
reference only contains the Figure Number. When I click on a cross reference
and select F9 to update the figure number, Word inserts a carriage return and
changes the words just prior to the cross reference to a "caption" format
(smaller font, different style and bold). This is really a pain especially
when I do an update to the entire document and have to go back and change 30
sentences back to the "normal" format. Any ideas how to stop this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Word cross-references make use of hidden bookmarks (which were
automatically inserted as you first created the references). Something
has happened to those bookmarks so that they do not enclose the
correct item. Usually, the problem is that you've pressed Enter at the
beginning of a bookmarked paragraph, which extends the bookmark to the
newly created paragraph. (You can easily confirm this in a test
document by using manual bookmarks. Make sure to enable their display,
first, on the View tab of Tools | Options.)

You can redefine existing hidden bookmarks as follows:

1. Select the text which should be bookmarked. Carefully select only
what you want referenced (that is, a smaller range of text than what
is currently inserted at the location of the cross-reference).

2. On the Insert menu, click Bookmark. Click "Hidden bookmarks", and
then click "Location". Word highlights the bookmark which includes the
selection.

3. Click Add to redefine the bookmark.

4. Repeat the above steps for each problematic cross-reference.

5. Select the entire document and press F9 to update the
cross-reference fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP