Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark T Mark T is offline

Default Headers on odd and even pages

In MS Word 2007, I use the title of my document for the header. I would like
the header to be left-justified on even pages and right-justified on odd
pages. Although I have clicked "different odd & even pages" in the "Design
options" menu, the header always appears only on the left or only on the
right (but does not alternate between odd and even pages). I didn't have this
problem in previous versions of Word, so I know that I am doing something
stupid.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

When you select the "Different Odd & Even Pages" option, do you see "Odd
Page Header" or "Even Page Header" below the header area and above the
footer area when you view the Header/Footer layer? Do you also happen to see
something like "Even Page Header - Section 2"? If while in the Header/Footer
and you click the Next Section/Previous Section commands in the Navigation
group of the contextual Header Footer tools do you advance to other sections
or headers/footers?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Mark T" wrote in message
In MS Word 2007, I use the title of my document for the header. I would
like
the header to be left-justified on even pages and right-justified on odd
pages. Although I have clicked "different odd & even pages" in the "Design
options" menu, the header always appears only on the left or only on the
right (but does not alternate between odd and even pages). I didn't have
this
problem in previous versions of Word, so I know that I am doing something
stupid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to checking the "Different Odd & Even Pages" checkbox, you must
also set up individual headers for the Odd and Even pages. In this respect,
the requirements of Word 2007 are no different from those of earlier
versions.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mark T" wrote in message
In MS Word 2007, I use the title of my document for the header. I would
like
the header to be left-justified on even pages and right-justified on odd
pages. Although I have clicked "different odd & even pages" in the "Design
options" menu, the header always appears only on the left or only on the
right (but does not alternate between odd and even pages). I didn't have
this
problem in previous versions of Word, so I know that I am doing something
stupid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark T Mark T is offline

On the first page I see "First Page Header" (which I leave blank). I then
click on "Next Section" which takes me to page 2 which says "Even Page
Header". On page 2, I create a header that is left-aligned (using "paragraph"
formatting). Then I click on "Next Section" which takes me to page 3 which
says "Odd Page Header". On page 3, I create a header that is right-aligned
(again using "paragraph" formatting). At this point, both page 2 and page 3
are right-aligned. If I go back to page 2 and left-align the header, then
page 3 becomes left-aligned as well.

"Mark T" wrote in message
In MS Word 2007, I use the title of my document for the header. I would
like
the header to be left-justified on even pages and right-justified on odd
pages. Although I have clicked "different odd & even pages" in the "Design
options" menu, the header always appears only on the left or only on the
right (but does not alternate between odd and even pages). I didn't have
this
problem in previous versions of Word, so I know that I am doing something
stupid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Based on what you describe it sounds like you are doing everything
correctly - it really doesn't work any different than in previous versions.
BUT I have another idea based on the details you provided. I suspect your
Header style is set to Automatically update. To see if this is the case,
follow these steps:

- Press Ctrl+Shift+S to open the Apply Styles pane
- Click in the Style name text box and type Header (it may appear as soon as
you type the "H")
- Click the Modify button
- See if the option "Automatically Update" is selected. If so, deselect the
option and then click OK

Try the alignment of the text in your headers again and see if it now works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mark T" wrote in message
In MS Word 2007, I use the title of my document for the header. I would
like
the header to be left-justified on even pages and right-justified on
odd
pages. Although I have clicked "different odd & even pages" in the
"Design
options" menu, the header always appears only on the left or only on
the
right (but does not alternate between odd and even pages). I didn't
have
this
problem in previous versions of Word, so I know that I am doing
something
stupid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark T Mark T is offline

Thank you, Beth;
The "Automatically Update" option was selected. Deselecting it solved the
problem.
Regards, Mark