Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joan

Default Word cross referencing

I have a 30 page legal document. All clauses are automatically numbered.
Some clauses refer to other clauses within doc. If some clauses are deleted I
have to manually search for the word "clause" and then check that it now
refers to the correct numbered clause. How do a set up document so that I
don't have to search and manually change the clauses numbering. I.e. some
clauses state "refer clause 15.6 above". But if clause 14 has been deleted
it should then read "refer clause 14.6 above". Hope makes sense and thanks
for help in advance.
Joan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to Paragraph number of Numbered item
(or Heading, if you've used the built-in heading styles). Cross-references
don't update automatically but will update on printing or switching to Print
Preview or when explicitly updated with F9.

"Joan" wrote in message
I have a 30 page legal document. All clauses are automatically numbered.
Some clauses refer to other clauses within doc. If some clauses are

deleted I
have to manually search for the word "clause" and then check that it now
refers to the correct numbered clause. How do a set up document so that I
don't have to search and manually change the clauses numbering. I.e. some
clauses state "refer clause 15.6 above". But if clause 14 has been

deleted
it should then read "refer clause 14.6 above". Hope makes sense and

thanks
for help in advance.
Joan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Use cross-references. You can specify that the reference refers to the
paragraph number, rather than the text. Cross-references update
automatically.