Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dungeon Rat Dungeon Rat is offline

Default TOC numbering problem

In my law firm we do many appeal briefs, in which the page numbers for
the TOC and TOA are in lowercase Roman numerals. To insert and format
page numbers on the actual page we use the icons on the footer
toolbar. But those lowercase Roman numerals show up in the TOC as
uppercase. There's got to be a simple way to make sure that the page
number in the TOC is the same case as the actual page number -- can
anyone tell me what it is?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dungeon Rat Dungeon Rat is offline

Suzanne --

The text of all TOC entries must be all caps, but the page number of
the TOC itself and of the TOA must show on the TOC in lower case
(other page numbers are Arabic, so there's no problem with them). I
saw an old post on another board which talked about the formatting of
the page number field itself, but like you I think it's the style
that's controlling here. What's odd is that using lowercase Roman
numerals for these sections is standard formatting, both for academic
and legal documents, so I'd expect MS to have a way to do this.

I was able to juryrig it by manually typing and editing the code
entry, but if someone updates the field I'm afraid the formatting will
revert. Plus, every time one of my users employs a Word TOC I have to
go thru this again.

On May 14, 2:40 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If you apply All Caps formatting to the TOC style used for a given level, it
is used for the page numbers as well. Does that apply in your case?

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Well, that's definitely the problem. I agree that there ought to be a way
around it, but there really isn't. Another thing we've been requesting for
years is the ability to have page numbers uniform even when the TOC entries
vary in point size (or even font), bold vs. normal, etc.

FWIW, you might reconsider the all caps if it's not an absolute requirement.
Not only does All Caps formatting take up more space, it's much less
readable than Caps & lowercase.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dungeon Rat Dungeon Rat is offline

Suzanne:

I appreciate your reply -- I was beginning to think I was crazy.
Unfortunately, the font requirements are set by the applicable Federal
District Court and are definitely non-negotiable; they will reject
unread any brief that does not meet their formatting requirements.
But at least I won't spend any longer looking for some switch that
doesn't exist. Thanks again!

On May 14, 4:07 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Well, that's definitely the problem. I agree that there ought to be a way
around it, but there really isn't. Another thing we've been requesting for
years is the ability to have page numbers uniform even when the TOC entries
vary in point size (or even font), bold vs. normal, etc.

FWIW, you might reconsider the all caps if it's not an absolute requirement.
Not only does All Caps formatting take up more space, it's much less
readable than Caps & lowercase.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

In that case I think your only option is to unlink the TOC after editing is
complete and apply the all caps formatting to the entries manually.

[...]

I'm having the same numbering problem, i.e., MarvInBoise Microsoft Word Help 5 December 27th 06 09:23 AM
Numbering problem Heni Page Layout 4 November 28th 06 06:19 PM
TOC numbering problem Laura C Johnson Microsoft Word Help 3 July 5th 06 11:11 PM
Numbering Problem Littlebear Page Layout 1 June 7th 06 08:24 AM
numbering problem Dave Mailmerge 1 May 25th 06 08:53 PM